CASPer Scenario for Discussion #6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with the SDN that aims to make the admission process more equitable:

You have just discovered someone selling a test bank for your calculus class on Kijiji. You are struggling in this class, and so this can potentially really help your grade.

1. Would you purchase the test bank?

2. Would you report the seller if their identity is not anonymous?

3. If you were one A+ from meeting the GPA requirement to maintain a scholarship that you desperately need, would this change your answer?

Discuss below!

Members don't see this ad.

My apologies as this is one of my first times doing one of these!

1. I would not purchase the test bank. This would be morally, justly and ethically incorrect and would go against all of my personal beliefs. Even though I am struggling within the course itself, I would reach out to the professor, peers, teaching assistants as well as friends within the class in order to form better study habits over purchasing the test bank.

2. I would approach the seller in a non confrontational manner and set up a private meeting. I would talk with them and encourage them to ask justly and ethically and reinforce how selling the test bank is unethical and unmoral. I would encourage them to report themselves to the proper authority and help form a dialogue if need be. If the seller does not want to report themselves, I would report the seller as the student policy has set forth.

3. Even if I was one A+ away from the GPA requirement this would not change my answer. It would still be unmoral and unethical to purchase the test bank and the work would not be of my own. This would go against everything that I stand for as a person and also as a student.

Please let me know how I did and how I may improve!

I feel like this prompt is a little too on-the-nose. I don't think anyone will say that they will purchase it. Compared to the practice tests on the official site, they definitely bring more emphasis on perspectives, like "you observe close friend X buying this test bank bc he's struggling in class. What would you do?"