This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Many university students reflected back on their high school education and realized it was focused too much on "useless" topics like the quadratic formula while not being focused on "useful" topics like personal finance.​

1. Do you agree that there were a lot of "useless" topics taught in high school?
  2. Schools are trying to incorporate more personal finance courses, but there is simply no space in the curriculum for it. What can they do?
  3. Besides personal finance, what is a subject you wish that you were taught in high school?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

As a tutor I came across situations as this a lot. I used to say to my students "Nobody cares if you can remember the parts of a frog ten years from now, but that information was relevant in teaching you how form matches function." The same for math, we have calculators, but doing math etches into your brain how to think logically and take a methodical approach to solving problems--one of the most useful life skills.

Practical skills versus academic skills is a huge dillemma, especially considering puberty and emerging adulthood and the social implications and skills needed to learn with that. Our youth simply have too much to do, too much learn, too much to experience, and there isn't a possible right answer. Putting more stress creates even worse mental health, which is a big problem and continuing to worsen for our youths and young adults.

Perhaps we could change our courses to be more applied, such as learning about money in math class, and then have more academic optional homework for students seeking college. Or switching to online learning and having class time for discussion, allowing students to follow their own interests academically then break off into groups during class witht he teacher faciliating.

I think that anything mental health related, and learning the basic skills that therapists walk patients through would be a good class to have in school. Everyone goes through similar situations at this life point, but many will not have the tools to process things emotionally.

Reactions: 1 user