This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

You are doing your teaching practicum and you have been assigned an elementary school to teach at. Another teacher in-training asks you to switch schools with her because it is more convenient for her and her children.​

1. What factors should you consider before making a decision?
  2. Is it fair that she asks this of you?
  3. Is it more difficult for women than men to maintain a work-life balance?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

This is all I could get after 5min. Let me know if you see any room for improvement!

1) First, I need to figure out what is best for me. I need to consider location, student population, school mission, salary, etc. If the switch fits well with my mission and preferences, then I believe the switch is an amiable solution that fulfills needs from both parties. Second, I would ask her if there was any one else that she knew of that would consider switching - they may be a better option if this school fit my personal preferences.

2.) Sure! Anyone can ask me anything. I always reserve the right to say no. In addition, I am always open to hearing someone out and learning about what their needs in this circumstance. I understand that this would have a tremendous impact on their family and that is a motivating factor simply for me deciding to switch. Yet, imagine if this was my dream practicum that I fought for and earned. Whereas, my friend only wants it for convenience sake - I would not feel inclined to switch if that were the case.

3.) I think its difficult for HUMANS to maintain a work-life balance. We all come from a variety of cultures and backgrounds. (

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Item #1. Do the “bosses” approve? They may have made those assignments for very specific reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
  1. I would like to gather more information before I make a decision. I understand that switching schools may be convenient for a student teacher and you want to assist as best as possible. However, the first factor I would consider is to look into the school, such as the distance to my home, the benefits, the subjects I would teach, etc. If there is no inconvenience or anything against preferences, then I would not mind switching to help out. If the school is too far or another factor that is of inconvenience, I may suggest to this teach to talk with other teachers who may be more willing to switch and this switch would not cause an inconvenience or go against personal preferences. Although I would like to assist, I need to make sure that both myself and the teacher in-training are in agreement and in a compromise about the switch.
  2. Yes of course it is. I always want to be presented as someone who is approachable. Even if I do not agree with the switch, I want to be respectful to the teacher in-training and also pose possible solutions of what she could do to make her career more convenient for herself. As mentioned, I believe it is important to be honest with oneself about personal preferences and be able to make a decision or compromise that will allow both sides to be pleased with the decision.
  3. I think both can be very difficult. I understand that, unfortunately, women are seen as the child caretaker along with working. Men are often seen as the breadwinner. However, as society is progressing away from this idea, I believe technology is affecting us all with a work-life balance. Since online meetings and working at home has gone on a rise, leaving the office does not allow one to truly leave work. Allowing work into the home has made it difficult to create a work life balance.

Reactions: 1 users

You are doing your teaching practicum and you have been assigned an elementary school to teach at. Another teacher in-training asks you to switch schools with her because it is more convenient for her and her children.​

1. What factors should you consider before making a decision?
  2. Is it fair that she asks this of you?
  3. Is it more difficult for women than men to maintain a work-life balance?

1. Contractual obligations. If there are regulations or ethics involved in such thing then I would need to run it by my supervisor or the board. I may have been assigned to this school for a reason, the same for the other teacher. I've no idea what my own housing situation or family needs look like, so it may be impractical for me to be able to accommodate even if such a thing is allowed. I would always try to help someone out if able, especially if it was no skin off my back in swapping.

2. Again, without more information it's hard to come to a good conclusion. In many cases people will trade amongst themselves for job duties, assignments, etc, at any given place. It's very common but without knowing the culture and norms of teaching I can't comment on whether or not it's fair. If they knew that I was really looking forward to this particular school and still asked, then perhaps it would be considered more uncouth. Especially if this position I had worked very hard at and made known I was super interested in.

3. All of the research shows that women have unique sets of struggles and expectations put on them. A lot of times women are asked to not only take care of the children, housework, bills and cleaning, but then also to work on top of it. And are judged more frequently for any vices or activities they may enjoy. I think it could be considered that as an aggregate women with children could be considered to have a more difficult time, but there are certainly many, many fathers who are put in extremely difficult situations as well.

TIME: 6:18 (I just ran a stopwatch in background).

Reactions: 1 user