This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Circumcision is a popular practice in many parts of the world, often for cultural reasons. Current research shows that the benefits of circumcision do not outweigh the risks of the procedure.​

1. Imagine you were an individual whose religion dictates circumcision. Would a government outlawing circumcision be considered religious discrimination against you?
  2. If one parent would like their son to be circumcised, while the other parent doesn't, how should this conflict be resolved?
  3. Female genital mutilation, also known as "Female Circumcision", is an outlawed practise in Western countries. Why is this not the case for male circumcision?

Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

1. I understand this is a difficult situation just because it can be against one’s religion without circumsicion. However, as mentioned, the risks outweigh benefits. I believe that outlawing circumcision is difficult as one must see how much risk there is. Therefore, more information is needed. If the risk is high and has led to high fatalities of infants, then the government may ban it for safety issues. However, if the risk is extremely low or it is known that the government may be against a particular religous group, then I believe it may take into consideration of religious discrimination. In the end, i believe it is important to consider political and environmental factors as well as the risk and benefits of circumcision before deciding whether one is religious discrimination
  2. I believe that this is a difficult situation since one of the parents is either for or against circumcision. I would like to be the informer and in a private area discuss the risks and benefits of the procedure. I could possibly write them down and present them in an information brochure for the parents to discuss about on a later basis and make a decision later. Moreover, I want to be able to present the well-research facts to them if there is any misconceptison as well as to answer any concerns or questions they may have. Hopefully this will allow them to come to a compromise about the decision whether to proceed with the procedure or not.
  3. From my person research, I believe it is because female circumcision has had such a high risk for complications and death. This is something that male circumcision just does not have a high risk for and there are some seen benefits with male circumcsiison (such as easier time to clean the penis) that female circumcision has none of. Moreover, a lot of jewish and catholic religions believe in male circumcision. As a reuslt, this has led male circumcision to be more approved of in Western countries.

(Please ignore grammar/spelling errors as this does not affect the score)