CASPer exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a BC resident wanting to apply to University of Mcgill medical school. One of the requirements is CASPer exam. Can anyone comment on what/how to study for this exam? Is it similar to the MCAT where I will have to study for months and months? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

CASPer has been compared to a written MMI. So they ask you ethical questions (usually you watch a video and they ask you how you would deal with the situation), questions about Canadian healthcare as well as questions about yourself (i.e. name and talk about your role model). You don't have to spend months preparing like the MCAT, but you should spend at least 20 hours or so preparing. I would recommend reading Doing Right as well as finding a book on MMIs, there may be books on CASPer already but if not, MMI is probably the most similar. I would also recommend doing practice questions and there are many resources online paid and not paid for this. The big thing with CASPer is you usually have 5 minutes to answer 3 questions and as a result, you need to practice your timing.

Reactions: 1 user
CASPer has been compared to a written MMI. So they ask you ethical questions (usually you watch a video and they ask you how you would deal with the situation), questions about Canadian healthcare as well as questions about yourself (i.e. name and talk about your role model). You don't have to spend months preparing like the MCAT, but you should spend at least 20 hours or so preparing. I would recommend reading Doing Right as well as finding a book on MMIs, there may be books on CASPer already but if not, MMI is probably the most similar. I would also recommend doing practice questions and there are many resources online paid and not paid for this. The big thing with CASPer is you usually have 5 minutes to answer 3 questions and as a result, you need to practice your timing.

Question about registering for CASper. on the CASper website, it says that in order to sign up for the test you will need your OMSAS number which can be obtained after you submit your application. I'm just confused about this... does that mean I won't be able to do CASper test until my application and reference letters have been submitted to the university? Ie: if the application deadline is due Oct 1 I can't do CASper until after Oct 1? I've never applied to anything where you need to submit your application first before doing the admission test. Usually they want both the test and application submitted before their deadline. Am I misunderstanding this?

Question about registering for CASper. on the CASper website, it says that in order to sign up for the test you will need your OMSAS number which can be obtained after you submit your application. I'm just confused about this... does that mean I won't be able to do CASper test until my application and reference letters have been submitted to the university? Ie: if the application deadline is due Oct 1 I can't do CASper until after Oct 1? I've never applied to anything where you need to submit your application first before doing the admission test. Usually they want both the test and application submitted before their deadline. Am I misunderstanding this?

I don't know if things have changed, but CASPer was a test you wrote after you applied to the universities. So I believe you are right, you can't do CASPer until after Oct 1st or at least until you submit your application.

Reactions: 1 user