Case Western vs Tufts Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frikifish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted into Case Western and Tufts, and having a hard time deciding between the two.
Financial wise:
Case and Cleveland are less expensive, but most financial aid is in the form of loans.
Tufts and Boston are much more expensive, but from what I understand around 29% of students get some kind of scholarship that covers 1/4 -1/2 tuition.
So my decision will definitely still depend on the package.

Financial stuff aside, both have aspects that I find really attractive. I really liked the atmosphere at Case and the PBL sessions. I enjoy research, and I can see the advantage of being the only medical school in the area surrounded by several leading hospitals in the world. A lot of people I've talked to have also mentioned that Case is more prestigious and much better in terms of teaching and research. Even my interviewer at Tufts went to Case Western medical school (lol)... In terms of Tufts, I really like Boston a lot more than Cleveland. I also want to pursue a joint MD/MBA program from Tufts, which Case doesn't offer. It also seemed to me that Tufts has a more established global health program, which is a direction that I'm really interested in. Boston also has a bigger entrepreneurial scene, something I'd like to participate in. I know Case is coming out with a global health and entrepreneurial track this year. But it's completely new and they are still designing the curriculum, so no way of knowing how it will be.

So, I'm really torn. Any insights will be appreciated! Thanks so much for reading such a long post.

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose Case for the prestige, cost, and research opportunities. But if you want to do an MD/MBA then money probably isn't a huge concern.

If you want to end up doing business stuff, then Tufts' location would be much better for you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts has a fantastic record of matching into Harvard affiliated residency programs and the institution itself carries a lot of prestige in the northeast. Case will have general med school prestige in the country and better research opportunities. But if you network well, you'll be able to do great research at the Brigham or MGH if you wanted too. Honestly I'd lean towards case if it were cheaper and you didn't feel too strongly about Boston. If you get a nice scholarship to tufts, and really want to be in Boston, then I'd lean towards tufts. You won't be sacrificing too much by not going to the school ranked in between 20-30 to the one in the 40s. I personally think tufts had a great community/culture too, so there's that.

Reactions: 1 users
I would choose Case for the prestige, cost, and research opportunities. But if you want to do an MD/MBA then money probably isn't a huge concern.

If you want to end up doing business stuff, then Tufts' location would be much better for you

Thanks so much for the reply! Do you think the prestige factor would really affect getting matched into a good residency program?

Thanks so much for the reply! Do you think the prestige factor would really affect getting matched into a good residency program?
I personally don't think it'll have a significant difference.

Are you more interested in research or community service?

Thanks for the reply! Could you elaborate on that a bit more please?

For me its more about the prestige, location for matching regional residencies, and affordability of Cleveland

Though if you have drive for NY, or Boston... I imagine Tufts would be better

Also Case does do a MD/MBA program. So that is not a distinguishing factor. You'd have to talk to the business faculty as to cost though. It is 5 years.

Here's the really important thing to consider: seafood vs covered dishes.

I just got accepted into Case Western and Tufts, and having a hard time deciding between the two.
Financial wise:
Case and Cleveland are less expensive, but most financial aid is in the form of loans.
Tufts and Boston are much more expensive, but from what I understand around 29% of students get some kind of scholarship that covers 1/4 -1/2 tuition.
So my decision will definitely still depend on the package.

Financial stuff aside, both have aspects that I find really attractive. I really liked the atmosphere at Case and the PBL sessions. I enjoy research, and I can see the advantage of being the only medical school in the area surrounded by several leading hospitals in the world. A lot of people I've talked to have also mentioned that Case is more prestigious and much better in terms of teaching and research. Even my interviewer at Tufts went to Case Western medical school (lol)... In terms of Tufts, I really like Boston a lot more than Cleveland. I also want to pursue a joint MD/MBA program from Tufts, which Case doesn't offer. It also seemed to me that Tufts has a more established global health program, which is a direction that I'm really interested in. Boston also has a bigger entrepreneurial scene, something I'd like to participate in. I know Case is coming out with a global health and entrepreneurial track this year. But it's completely new and they are still designing the curriculum, so no way of knowing how it will be.

So, I'm really torn. Any insights will be appreciated! Thanks so much for reading such a long post.

Reactions: 4 users
I heard lebron still has a pretty big house in cleveland if you care about that

Tufts has a fantastic record of matching into Harvard affiliated residency programs and the institution itself carries a lot of prestige in the northeast. Case will have general med school prestige in the country and better research opportunities. But if you network well, you'll be able to do great research at the Brigham or MGH if you wanted too. Honestly I'd lean towards case if it were cheaper and you didn't feel too strongly about Boston. If you get a nice scholarship to tufts, and really want to be in Boston, then I'd lean towards tufts. You won't be sacrificing too much by not going to the school ranked in between 20-30 to the one in the 40s. I personally think tufts had a great community/culture too, so there's that.

Case is ranked #24 for research and Tufts is #49 - does that really not make much of a difference? I've heard such mixed things from people regarding how important this is with some people saying it matters a lot and others telling me it doesn't.

Also I've always thought of tufts as mid tier (avg LizzyM is 70) and case as more of a top tier (avg lizzym of 74)

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like to me that you want to go to Tufts but feel as though you shouldn't turn down case... They're both good schools, if I were you I would go to the one that you think you'll be happiest with/at. This is your decision and it's going to be your next four years. So if my intuition is correct, I'd say go with Tufts. But seriously, do what you want to do.

Case is ranked #24 for research and Tufts is #49 - does that really not make much of a difference? I've heard such mixed things from people regarding how important this is with some people saying it matters a lot and others telling me it doesn't.

Also I've always thought of tufts as mid tier (avg LizzyM is 70) and case as more of a top tier (avg lizzym of 74)

Brah you're splitting hairs. There is pretty much no difference in prestige and they're both probably mid tier. You'll get to the same place. But no one who matters actually cares that much about usnews. Actual prestige is more determined by what people think about the school and how well the graduates of the school have done in that program. The biggest difference is that tufts is in massachusetts and puts you in new england geographically but case western is in the midwest.

Reactions: 3 users
Here's the really important thing to consider: seafood vs covered dishes.

I don't know Goro, those casserole things seem gross to me, but I'd still love to go to Case.

Case has a better rep for research, don't think it's really close. But Tufts has more lay-prestige and is in a better city.
Also of note: 1.LeBron 2. Cleveland clinic.

Reactions: 3 users
Brah you're splitting hairs. There is pretty much no difference in prestige and they're both probably mid tier. You'll get to the same place. But no one who matters actually cares that much about usnews. Actual prestige is more determined by what people think about the school and how well the graduates of the school have done in that program. The biggest difference is that tufts is in massachusetts and puts you in new england geographically but case western is in the midwest.
I second this @occams_razor. At that point, it becomes about cost, location, and fit.

Personally, if all else was equal, I would pick Case here because of financial factors. Boston has the highest cost of living outside of NYC and SF, and the tuition at Tufts is terrible. I know Tufts gives out aid to alleviate that, BUT Tufts rotations are set up such that you really need to either own a car or live right in downtown Boston, further jacking up the cost of attendance.

Really can't beat that Cleveland COL. General impression I get is you get the +'s of living in a city, but less of the -'s like traffic and crazy rent because no one knows about it yet.

Personally, if all else was equal, I would pick Case here because of financial factors. Boston has the highest cost of living outside of NYC and SF, and the tuition at Tufts is terrible. I know Tufts gives out aid to alleviate that, BUT Tufts rotations are set up such that you really need to either own a car or live right in downtown Boston, further jacking up the cost of attendance.

It's a small detail but because you're using it to prove a point I wanted to say that the bolder is definitely not true. You can live in a lot of affordable (but still expensive) areas on the red or orange line and still have an easy, cheap, and fast commute. Cheaper but longer if you're coming from Allston on the green.

Also Case does do a MD/MBA program. So that is not a distinguishing factor. You'd have to talk to the business faculty as to cost though. It is 5 years.
That's good to know! I will look into it. They didn't have it on their admissions package. Thanks for mentioning it!

It's a small detail but because you're using it to prove a point I wanted to say that the bolder is definitely not true. You can live in a lot of affordable (but still expensive) areas on the red or orange line and still have an easy, cheap, and fast commute. Cheaper but longer if you're coming from Allston on the green.

Spoken like someone who does not commute on the MBTA every day ;)

I am late for work on as somewhat regular basis (maybe Q3wks) because a 20 minute T ride takes 90 minutes. I just text my manager and move on, but I can't imagine that going over so well on, say, a surgery rotation.

All of the Tufts students I know have opted to live super close to Tufts or live further out (like in Somerville or JP) and have cars. A couple others have opted to do all of their rotations at a hospital way out of Boston (Bay State, Maine Med) which comes with housing. That may actually be the most economic option, though don't quote me on that.

Spoken like someone who does not commute on the MBTA every day ;)

I am late for work on as somewhat regular basis (maybe Q3wks) because a 20 minute T ride takes 90 minutes. I just text my manager and move on, but I can't imagine that going over so well on, say, a surgery rotation.

All of the Tufts students I know have opted to live super close to Tufts or live further out (like in Somerville or JP) and have cars. A couple others have opted to do all of their rotations at a hospital way out of Boston (Bay State, Maine Med) which comes with housing. That may actually be the most economic option, though don't quote me on that.
Haha well I've commuted on the t for 8 years and it hasn't been that bad. Last winter when the snowfall crushed the green and red line it was pretty bad though

Last edited:
Case has a better rep for research, don't think it's really close. But Tufts has more lay-prestige and is in a better city.
Also of note: 1.LeBron 2. Cleveland clinic.
1. At least until he takes his talents to golden state next year

Do not do an MBA from a non top-tier school, especially at Tufts since it's incredibly expensive for very poor added value. B-schools generally like MDs, and if you stack your cards right, schools like HBS are much easier to get into than for a normal b-school applicant.

If the cost is similar, go to the school in the city you like more. As someone else mentioned, Boston has the added bonus of having a ton of incredible residency programs in the area.

Both are good (and expensive) options, and neither will limit you. Access to the Cleveland Clinic would be the deciding factor for me if the costs are roughly even. Should you pick a competitive specialty, doing a sub-I there might be preferable.

Cleveland doesn't have the same 'cool' factor as Boston, but it isn't a bad place to live.

Do not do an MBA from a non top-tier school, especially at Tufts since it's incredibly expensive for very poor added value. B-schools generally like MDs, and if you stack your cards right, schools like HBS are much easier to get into than for a normal b-school applicant.

If the cost is similar, go to the school in the city you like more. As someone else mentioned, Boston has the added bonus of having a ton of incredible residency programs in the area.

You mean doing MBA after med school? Have you heard of anyone in HBS doing med school concurrently at another university?

You mean doing MBA after med school? Have you heard of anyone in HBS doing med school concurrently at another university?
I've met kids at Wharton who took leave of absences from their home med schools to do an MBA. I'm sure HBS has similar students.