Case Report question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redColor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Google found most Case Report charge close thousand dollars to get publish if accept. Is this true? Do you pay yourself after submit Case Report to a journal?

Members don't see this ad.

They range from 500 to 2000 US Dollars.

You pay after the paper has been accepted to ththe journal. Only a few dont require a article processing fee (APC). One that comes to mind is BMJ case reports.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, so should better find no charge journal or better pay hundreds dollars by self?

Members don't see this ad :)
No one will really look at the journal you publish your case report and care much about it unless it's in a high impact journal.

That being said, in any journal that will publish your case report it might be better to try the ones that dont require you to pay a fee. Those journals aren't necessarily better. So any low impact journal that's dedicated for case reports is fine, regardless of a fee or not.

Only a few dont require a article processing fee (APC). One that comes to mind is BMJ case reports.

They do charge a fee though. It's not a traditional APC, but you have to be a "fellow" with an annual fee. It's not a bad deal compared to other journals as a "fellow" you can publish with them for the duration of your annual cost. Their website is down at the moment, I don't remember how much it costs.

They do charge a fee though. It's not a traditional APC, but you have to be a "fellow" with an annual fee. It's not a bad deal compared to other journals as a "fellow" you can publish with them for the duration of your annual cost. Their website is down at the moment, I don't remember how much it costs.

Sorry JoshSt is correct, thanks for the addition.

Didnt think of that since my institution has a fellowship with BMJ.

I agree with @pbrocks15 . Just try to find a journal in that is indexed in scopus or emerging-SCI. Better try to find cost-free or low-cost. Just be careful against predator journals. In these days they are really common, unfortunately. I hope your case report will get published soon. I think reports are very helpful, some of them affects our practice more than bulky data analysis.

I agree with @pbrocks15 . Just try to find a journal in that is indexed in scopus or emerging-SCI. Better try to find cost-free or low-cost. Just be careful against predator journals. In these days they are really common, unfortunately. I hope your case report will get published soon. I think reports are very helpful, some of them affects our practice more than bulky data analysis.

Also agree with @mestielest there are a lot of times I've heard a resident or attending say "they may present like XYZ, theres a case written on it" etc.