Cardiology followed by Interventional Radiology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studebug

On My Way 2 the Big Dance
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My anatomy professor who is an MD has a son graduating from cardiology. We had some discussions around that because he knew that I had interest in that field. He made the comment that cardiology followed by interventional radiology was the best route. With very little knowldege that I have at this point, I couldn't draw an educated opinion regarding his comment.

Please provide your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

My anatomy professor who is an MD has a son graduating from cardiology. We had some discussions around that because he knew that I had interest in that field. He made the comment that cardiology followed by interventional radiology was the best route. With very little knowldege that I have at this point, I couldn't draw an educated opinion regarding his comment.

Please provide your thoughts.

Interventional radiology is a fellowship after radiology. Interventional cardiology is a fellowship after general cards. At my fellowship the interventional cardiology fellows can do peripheral stenting...arms, legs, carotids, and renals. At other hospitals these procedures are done by vascular surgery or interventional radiology. Interventional radiology, at least in the hospital I train at, is regulated to CT guided biopsies and PICC lines. The best way to train for these procedures is through either cardiology or vascular surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above.
Are you sure the person didn't mean cardiology followed by interventional CARDIOLOGY?

Agree with above.
Are you sure the person didn't mean cardiology followed by interventional CARDIOLOGY?

That is very possible. He has a VERY strong accent (from India). I have a very hard time understanding his English- precious sweet man though. Plus he was in the middle of trying to get my LOR ready to mail so I was partially focused on that.

He undoubtedly meant cardiology followed by interventional cards, then.
That would be 7-8 years post med school. 3 years IM, 3 years general cardiology fellowship, 1-2 years of interventional cardiology fellowship. He probably said it was "best" because interventional cards makes more $ than straight cards. It's a matter of what you are interested in, though, and also how much you want to work. Interventional typically has worse hours and of course has to come in for a lot of emergencies, potentially.