Can't figure out if this class more sufficient than the other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMed206!

Reaction score
I am heading into my last semester of undergrad. I am currently taking Cell Biochemistry this winter and I am scheduled for Biochemistry I in the spring semester. I am not sure if I need or should take the Biochemistry I class because my overall GPA is hovering at around 3.49 overall at the moment and I really don't wanna sacrifice my GPA if I don't need the class ( I say sacrifice because the professor teaching is infamously bad between both students and faculty). Honestly, I would want to try and make sure I could get my GPA above a 3.5+. If someone could give me their honest opinion of what I should do? I could always switch Biochemistry I and Microbiology to fulfill my Biology minor requirements which is no big deal. Additionally, I am taking a thesis class for graduation with honors, intro to stats for the math requirement for medical school, and a health law and ethics class.

Here are the course descriptions for both biochemistry classes, to me, they sound pretty similar in what makes up the focus of the class:

BIO 370 (Biochemistry I)- The major constituents of cells: physical and chemical properties of carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids. Properties of enzymes including specificity and kinetics.

BIO 372 (Cell Biochemistry)- Chemical approaches to cell function: bioenergetics, cell replication, control of biosynthetic processes, and metabolism. Use of analytic methods to study the properties of cells and subcellular components.

If anyone could give their input on if they think it would be better to keep Biochemistry I or if Cell Biochemistry would suffice I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should take biochem; most schools require it now and its pretty important for MCAT.

I would really just double check which one is accepted; it seems Biochemistry 1 is the 'safer' option interms of being accepted as a prereq as it seems more like the vanilla first biochem class that all universities have.

You should take biochem; most schools require it now and its pretty important for MCAT.

I would really just double check which one is accepted; it seems Biochemistry 1 is the 'safer' option interms of being accepted as a prereq as it seems more like the vanilla first biochem class that all universities have.
Thank you for your reply! That's what I was thinking as well, I tried to look up "Cell Biochemistry" but it seems not to be a very common course and everything pertaining to medical school just says one semester of biochem. I was primarily confused because of the similarities between the two courses, so thank you for your opinion :)