Other Canadian Student and U.S. Residency Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The One Who Knocks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of now, I am a Canadian pre-medicine student at an American University. I am about to take the MCAT for the first time, and I have been thinking about the hurdles I will soon face with regards to me being Canadian. If anyone can give me a sure answer, it would be great!

I look forward to applying to both Canadian and U.S. medical schools, however, I am thinking ahead towards applying for residency after med school. I understand that if I apply and get accepted to a Canadian medical school, that I will most likely do my residency in Canada as well, which will be no problem since I am a permanent resident here.

Firstly, if I complete med school in the U.S., can I then get into Canadian residency programs? Is there a hurdle associated with where I graduate from med school and where I want to do residency?

Also, if I graduate from my U.S. institution (Wayne State University), can I then easily apply to canadian med schools and residency programs with no problems? I always thought so since I am a permanent Canadian resident.

I am sort of distraught. What do you guys suggest is the best course of action? Being a Canadian at a U.S. university, willing to go to Canadian or U.S. med schools? I am thinking ahead for residency placement here.

Thanks for your time, it is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.