Canadian citizens and US residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if there are any Canadian residents out there that can tell me about the steps to acquiring legal permission to work in the USA once done pod school and ready to start residency (H1B, TN, or J1???). Also, is it possible to apply for a green card while in school or do you wait it out, or forgot it all together??

Thanks for any info you may have

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering if there are any Canadian residents out there that can tell me about the steps to acquiring legal permission to work in the USA once done pod school and ready to start residency (H1B, TN, or J1???). Also, is it possible to apply for a green card while in school or do you wait it out, or forgot it all together??

Thanks for any info you may have

There are the hospitals that will help the foreign students to obtain H1 or one of the work visas to allow them to do their residency training in the US. You will need to check with the individual residency program. To make it easier for the foreign students, the CASPR residency directory (starting with the 2007 -2008 application cyle) will contain information about the visa requirements for each residency program. Residency programs in the major university teaching hospitals should have no problem obtaining work visa for foreign students. Some of the small community hospitals will probably not sponsor work visas for foreign students. Those programs will require the candidate to be either an US citizen or a US permanent resident (green card holder). I can also tell you that the VA programs will usually take US citizens due to its funding source.

In regards to applying for green card, you can not simply apply for a green card. You need to be sponsor by someone for the green card. The only exception would be those granted asylum status or something along those lines in the US. Some of the US corporation may sponsor individuals for a green card. However, to my knowledge, I do not know of any hospital that would sponsor a foreign student for a green card. If you belong to one of those qualifying countries, you may be able to apply for a green card through the green card lottery. Canadians are not eligble for this. However, if you hold a dual citizenship with another country and that country is on the list of countries eligible for green card lottery, you can then apply. If you want to explore other options, I would recommend you talking to an immigration lawyer in the US.

Perhaps, any other Canadian students may have some additional input. I learn about some of this stuff when my roommate from Podiatry school was applying for residency program. He was a Canadian Citizen from Montreal.

you need to be very careful of this.

I'm Canadian and did a PSR 24. The first year you can and should use "optional practical training" which is good for only 12 months. My second year I used a NAFTA TN visa. This is tricky because it is only supposed to be for research and not clinical medicine. This saved years of H1B eligibility which you will need to have intact for your green card process if you decide to stay and work.

Green card is a lengthy process. I started it three and a half years ago and still wait. It'll be about a year and a half more from what my attorney tells me.

Definitely talk with an immigration attorney. It's expensive, but money well spent.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm Canadian and did a PSR 24. The first year you can and should use "optional practical training" which is good for only 12 months. My second year I used a NAFTA TN visa. This is tricky because it is only supposed to be for research and not clinical medicine. This saved years of H1B eligibility which you will need to have intact for your green card process if you decide to stay and work.

Green card is a lengthy process. I started it three and a half years ago and still wait. It'll be about a year and a half more from what my attorney tells me.

Definitely talk with an immigration attorney. It's expensive, but money well spent.

Just out of curiosity - what are you doing in the meantime? Are you currently practicing in Canada?

Thanks so much. This is exactly what I was looking for. I did not realize you can use OPT for residency.

How many years of H1B do you received typically (my boyfriend has his for 6 but has an MBA and is sponsored by the company)?? And, can an H1B be renewed after it expires while waiting for a green card??