Canadian applying to US- help with schools list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grantaered

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Thanks so much for reading. I'm a first-time Canadian applicant trying to figure out a schools list for the US- my main concerns are my ECs/lack of hospital-related experience and extremely limited shadowing (~10-12 hours). I'd like to narrow down my list to ~10 schools. Anyone have any insight on which of these has the lowest emphasis on clinical work/shadowing? Thank you so much! Here's my info below:

cGPA (fairly stable over 3 years): 3.97/4.0

MCAT: 523 (130/131/130/132)
Tentative list:
Albert Einstein
Boston
Central Michigan
Georgetown
John Hopkins
New York (Valhalla)
William Beaumont (Oakland)
Perelman (Pennsylvania)
Sidney Kimmel
Stanford
State University of New York Upstate
Stony Brook
Tulane
Pittsburg
Vanderbilt
St Louis (Washington)
Wayne State

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With a 4.0/523 I'd consider removing some of the schools where your stats are far above average such as NYMC, OUWB, Wayne State, Central Michigan (the avg. GPA/MCAT there is 3.6/504). You could consider adding Mayo and Case Western (I know both are Canadian friendly)

With a 4.0/523 I'd consider removing some of the schools where your stats are far above average such as NYMC, OUWB, Wayne State, Central Michigan (the avg. GPA/MCAT there is 3.6/504). You could consider adding Mayo and Case Western (I know both are Canadian friendly)

Thanks for the response! I had been considering some lower stats schools as safety options to compensate for my lack of shadowing/clinical experience- do you think this would be unnecessary? And/or does it not work this way in the states?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! I had been considering some lower stats schools as safety options to compensate for my lack of shadowing/clinical experience- do you think this would be unnecessary? And/or does it not work this way in the states?
Case Western doesn't take Canadians anymore, and if you apply broadly you'll be surprised by where you receive interviews

Case Western doesn't take Canadians anymore, and if you apply broadly you'll be surprised by where you receive interviews

Hmm. To be honest I'm actually still hesitating on whether to apply American this cycle at all, so I can work on getting more shadowing/clinical next school year and just focus on Canadian applications this time around instead- is there any common wisdom on how American schools look upon reapplicants? What are some pros/cons to applying to everything all at once?

Hmm. To be honest I'm actually still hesitating on whether to apply American this cycle at all, so I can work on getting more shadowing/clinical next school year and just focus on Canadian applications this time around instead- is there any common wisdom on how American schools look upon reapplicants? What are some pros/cons to applying to everything all at once?
Less positively. Some schools do not even consider a third try...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Less positively. Some schools do not even consider a third try...

Thanks for the info! If that's the case, would you say it's a better idea to wait the extra year before applying American? (I'd much prefer staying in Canada, to be honest.)

Wait the extra year. You are competitive for all Canadian med schools, so apply broadly to them, including those that take few OOP students.

Reactions: 1 users