Canadian applying to US - GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simkaxo

SKOD24
Reaction score
Hello, I have tried calculating my GPA numerous times, on my own, using different websites...I seem to be get great degree of variation. As such, can someone tell me how to most efficiently calculate my GPA? I am a Canadian student, so I converted my percent grades to letters based on i.e., A+ (90's+), A- (80-84), etc...and from there I convert a grade of A+ to a 4.0...A- to an 3.7...etc...is this the right method? slightly confused here. Any help is appreciated! thanks

p.s. we have a semester system and each course is worth 3.0 credits

(5 courses/semester)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I don't know if this will help because I'm not familiar with Canadian grade conversions; and I know it letter grade percentages vary from school to school in the US. At my school, the grade percentage/letter grade to GPA conversions are:

100-93% = A (4.0)79-77 = C+ (2.3)
92-90% = A- (3.7)76-73 = C (2.0)
89-87% = B+ (3.3)72-70 = C- (1.7)
86-83 = B (3.0)69-67 = D+ (1.3)
82-80 = B- (2.7) 66-63 = D (1.0)
*grades get rounded up or down at the 0.5 mark in between the letter grades.

I think these are fairly standard, although some schools are more lenient on the plus or minus grades. Some don't have plus & minus grades at all. I think if you convert your percentages to letter grades then you can use any standard US college gpa calculator. Some of them may make you calculate it one semester at a time, which may be a little tedious. I hope this helps! :)