can you take the pre-reqs as electives for your degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOAPsucks222

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about majoring in Psychology so I am curious if you can take all of the med school prereqs as electives for the degree? The curriculum for Psychology doesn't include any of the med school prereqs so I would not wish to take extra courses. Basically I'd like to not have to take over 120 hours for the Bachelor's.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking about majoring in Psychology so I am curious if you can take all of the med school prereqs as electives for the degree? The curriculum for Psychology doesn't include any of the med school prereqs so I would not wish to take extra courses. Basically I'd like to not have to take over 120 hours for the Bachelor's.

Depends on the degree plan and the school. Some of them should definitely fit into the electives and gen ed requirements. But if you have to take a few extra classes, so be it. I have like 180 total credits or something.

The curriculum for a Psychology degree doesn't include intro bio and gen chem? seriously? that seems kinda crazy to me. I doubt you'll be able to squeeze all of the prereqs in without going over 120 hours.
Intro Bio: 8-10 credit hours
Gen Chem: 10 credit hours
Organic: 10-12 credit hours
Biochemistry: 3-5 credit hours
Physics: 8-10 credit hours
Thats an extra 40+ hours right there. You might be able to take some of that as gen eds but I would anticipate going over 120 hours.
Another option would be to major in something like neuroscience or biology and have a minor in psychology.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only way you can get this answered is by talking with your academic advisor. They can let you know which prereqs can also count for your major, how many GEs you have to take, etc. Most premeds end up taking >120 hrs (or at the very least, I know of no premed that takes less than 15 credits per semester), but most get done in 4 years barring major switches.

Reactions: 1 user
I did a humanities major with zero overlap with premed. Still finished in 4 years, no problem.

Your results may vary, but you'll still almost certainly be able to manage it with a regular coarse load in four years. Just make sure you're taking the right classes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I got my bs in psych. I minored in chemistry and that covered almost everything. Just needed like two bio classes that were elective if I'm not mistaken to cover everything for premed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Some UG schools have a two-track program in psychology for students who are pre-med (B.S. degree in Psychology) as opposed to students who are not pre-med (B.A. degree in Psychology).

* If your UG provides a B.S. degree in Psychology, you should be able to complete your pre-reqs in pre-med (in addition to all other courses required for your bachelor's degree in psychology), without any problems.

* On the other hand, if your UG only offers a B.A. degree in Psychology, it is advisable to consult with your academic advisor to map out your UG coursework (and degree requirements) in advance.

Note: You do NOT want to be in a situation at your UG where you are precluded from enrolling in BCMP pre-reqs for medical school because you are a "non-science" major (i.e., the science majors have priority on enrollment in the BCMP pre-req courses at your UG, based upon seats available in the class, or max caps on enrollment in the class). So, consult with your academic advisor to discuss your pre-med track to eliminate these types of enrollment problems in the BCMP pre-reqs so that you graduate on time.

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users