can you help a confused me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexorbit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! How y'all doing? :) I really dont know if I should post this thread on this forum but I guess its worth a try. Ive been lurking around this forum for a year now just reading and researching. This my first time posting so here it goes.

Im a filipino immigrant in the U.S. moved here two years ago. I completed all my studies in the Philippines and is currently working as an RN in a community hospital.

Ive been wanting to be a physician ever since (more of like a childhood dream. LOL!) And if not for me immigrating here I would have continued my med studies in the P.I. But its all ok with me moving, living and working here. Being in the real working world has gained me insights and has really motivated me to become a md.

So my case now. LOL! I just accepted to a cal state univ. as a second bachelor's student and since I have a foreign undergrad degree I would have to retake all of the science courses I had before plus the additional pre requisite subjects (total of 3 years) before I could even apply for medical school.

My question now is. would you guys recommend me to continue with getting a 2nd bach? or is it better to go back to P.I. get my MD degree and then apply for a U.S residency? I really do wanna work here in the u.s as a physician and I know matching as an FMG would be very tough especially now and the years to come...

Any thoughts on this? Would appreciate all your opinions.. Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Too many 'factors'...personal and otherwise involved in this one... You are going to have to make a decision that best suits you; consider your goals and your expectations. Good LUCK!

You also have to assess your ability as a student. If you think you can graduate in the US with a high GPA (at least 3.6) and can get a good score at MCAT (above 30), maybe you can give it a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too many 'factors'...personal and otherwise involved in this one... You are going to have to make a decision that best suits you; consider your goals and your expectations. Good LUCK!

yeah. you are correct though. There are a lot of factors involved in this one. Personal, educational and financial. Plus the fact that I have a sucky undergrad gpa of 2.9.... lol.... Honestly, Im leaning towards the P.I. medical schools to save money and time. Oh well, I just need to come up with a decision soon...

You also have to assess your ability as a student. If you think you can graduate in the US with a high GPA (at least 3.6) and can get a good score at MCAT (above 30), maybe you can give it a shot.

Yeah you're right too tantrum. I do believe that I can handle the education here and perhaps excel. But what Im afraid of is going through 3 years of pre-reqs, taking the mcat and all other requirements and still not be able to matriculate to medical school. Thats whats confusing me... lol... It really is a headache...

Yeah you're right too tantrum. I do believe that I can handle the education here and perhaps excel. But what Im afraid of is going through 3 years of pre-reqs, taking the mcat and all other requirements and still not be able to matriculate to medical school. Thats whats confusing me... lol... It really is a headache...

Either pathway, you will be taking a risk. The one thing that I observe from many Philippine educated students is that they usually struggle with the MCAT. Take some practice test to find out. It''s a different animal than tests they usually give in the Philippines.

If you decide on the Philippine med school track, you have to do it ASAP. More American students in the next few years means it will be tougher to match for residency every year and the more you wait, the harder the task.

Either pathway, you will be taking a risk. The one thing that I observe from many Philippine educated students is that they usually struggle with the MCAT. Take some practice test to find out. It''s a different animal than tests they usually give in the Philippines.

If you decide on the Philippine med school track, you have to do it ASAP. More American students in the next few years means it will be tougher to match for residency every year and the more you wait, the harder the task.

Thanks tantrum. I havent been checking this thread lately. Anyway, so if more american students within the years to come means that it'll be much difficult to match into residency or close to impossible? :scared: and I was even thinking of getting into EM or general surgery... but oh well. things might change. I might even change my mind as to what specialty.

Thanks tantrum. I havent been checking this thread lately. Anyway, so if more american students within the years to come means that it'll be much difficult to match into residency or close to impossible? :scared: and I was even thinking of getting into EM or general surgery... but oh well. things might change. I might even change my mind as to what specialty.
The effect of more American med students will not be felt until around 2017 or 2018 when all the new students will be matching. Even at the moment general surgery and EM are difficult matches for IMG. In the future any IMG will be lucky to match in Family Medicine.

The effect of more American med students will not be felt until around 2017 or 2018 when all the new students will be matching. Even at the moment general surgery and EM are difficult matches for IMG. In the future any IMG will be lucky to match in Family Medicine.

sucks to be a img...lol

Thanks again tantrum. I do hope Im one of the lucky ones. Anyway, Im planning to take the fall classes at CSUN just to get a feel of how it is... (hopefully its a good plan.) And also Ill just take the NMAT this november too...