Can you handle the workload?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siritchy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten this question asked and dwelled upon in an interview?
I recently went to an interview and this subject would not go away. I told the interviewer over and over that I can handle it, but would be difficult. Further, that I currently work 60+ hours a week where I actively learn, take courses at night, and handle family obligations.

The responses were that it wasn't the same as true academics, there was quite a gap (few years) where you didn't take any courses, and med school is much more compressed than anything done before. I never gave in and said no I can't handle it, but it seemed like the answer they wanted! Any one else have this experience?

Members don't see this ad.

siritchy said:
Has anyone gotten this question asked and dwelled upon in an interview?
I recently went to an interview and this subject would not go away. I told the interviewer over and over that I can handle it, but would be difficult. Further, that I currently work 60+ hours a week where I actively learn, take courses at night, and handle family obligations.

The responses were that it wasn't the same as true academics, there was quite a gap (few years) where you didn't take any courses, and med school is much more compressed than anything done before. I never gave in and said no I can't handle it, but it seemed like the answer they wanted! Any one else have this experience?
I got this question maybe once during my medical school interviews (age 39) and once during my residency interviews (age 44). I think what you said was very good. Juggling school, work, and family takes a lot of discipline and engery.

Let me add one other thing. (This is not necessarily about your situation, but just a general rule I tried to follow during my interviews, IMHO.) When answering a tough question, it often isn't what you say, but how you say it. Stay calm, be honest, don't ramble, don't be argumentative, etc.

ntmed said:
Let me add one other thing. (This is not necessarily about your situation, but just a general rule I tried to follow during my interviews, IMHO.) When answering a tough question, it often isn't what you say, but how you say it. Stay calm, be honest, don't ramble, don't be argumentative, etc.

This is definitely true. A lot of the better interviewers ask relatively innocuous questions and then sit quietly even after you have apparently answered the question until you are smart enough to either shut up or to steer the conversation to something else. What you do not want to do is go into a lengthy rambling dialogue of self doubt (think comedian Richard Lewis) and ultimately concede that you can't handle med school. What you want to do is answer the question -- that med school is certainly going to be a challenge compared to your prior experience but that you are excited about it and up to the task -- and then counter with some inciteful questions of your own.

Law2Doc said:
T What you do not want to do is go into a lengthy rambling dialogue of self doubt (think comedian Richard Lewis) and ultimately concede that you can't handle med school. .

I think they were trying to get me to crack during my pharmacy interview. I kept on rambling and finally ended up talking about seabiscuit (the racehorse of all things)but at no point did i say i couldn't handle it.