Can you guys, as doctors, give me your honest answer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thepocatomyhontas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a HS student, and I know I don't exactly belong in this forum, but I have a question for all of you doctors. I am really passionate about becoming a doctor and I cannot see myself as anything other than a doctor. I'm not like just any other HS student, bc I KNOW for a fact that I want to be a doctor. So I want to gain some shadowing experience in pediatric oncology, bc that's the specialty I'm interested in and many people told me that if I want to apply to a BS/MD program I need at least one shadowing experience. At the same time, I'm really interested in what doctors actually "do", especially pediatricians. So can you guys, as doctors, give me your honest opinion on a HS student asking to shadow you? Would it be okay if I did that, or would I be rejected by almost everyone?

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't at all uncommon, and I'm sure people would be willing to have you along. A good starting place is your own (or family's) physician, who may know other people and may be willing to make introductions. If you're near an academic center they would have a heme/onc clinic as well. But start with someone you know and go from there.

I think it would be a great idea for you to shadow. Too many high school students have no idea what they want to do. An early plan helps. It never hurts to ask around for shadowing opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Cuthbert Thanks so much! How do I begin? I volunteer at Jefferson in Philadelphia and I've emailed several medical oncologists/hematologists, but none have replied. It's been almost a week. :(

I'm a medical student, not a doctor. But I would pick smaller practices because large organizations might have official policies and such about showing by students - especially underage ones. Second, I would call rather than email.

@Cuthbert Thanks so much! How do I begin? I volunteer at Jefferson in Philadelphia and I've emailed several medical oncologists/hematologists, but none have replied. It's been almost a week. :(

Also, note that a week might seem like forever in your life but in a big medical center with busy academics, weeks kinda fly by and emails come in droves and get triaged based on urgency.

As men2c mentioned, bigger places can have different policies in place and it might take awhile for someone you email to get in touch with someone who knows whether or not shadowing is allowed and how to go about setting it up given HIPAA and other regulations. So that might require multiple emails around to different people. It is vacation season now, too.

If your volunteering involves interactions with doctors start there. This is going to work better through people you have some face time with. Even if it's not the specialty you want to shadow. You can make connections and go along that way.

Quite a few academic or large medical centers often have ways to give people some exposure to healthcare professions, like through shadowing or other experiences. That would be something to look into as well, again even if it's not directed to just physicians.

One of the places I lived had a health professions shadowing program, not physicians, but a bunch of other fields. I wasn't a stranger to healthcare at that point but I did it anyway and learned a bunch and got to observe nurses in the ICU, rad techs, histo techs, dosimetrists, oncology RNs, etc. Because I was polite, respectful, and showed a genuine interest in their roles before ever saying anything about wanting to become a doc, when I did finally mention it to a few of these folks, they introduced me to MDs in their areas if they were available. I didn't even have to ask. I got the opportunity to ask the MDs questions, got business cards, even sat at a two headed scope with a pathologist for an hour looking at different biopsies and stuff. So I made connections for more in depth shadowing. The trick here is to show respect for everyone else's role and make sure not to come across like you think MD is the be all end all.

So call around and see if local hospitals have any health career exploration programs. otherwise do what others have suggested and start with people you know.

I cannot see myself as anything other than a doctor. ...I KNOW for a fact that I want to be a doctor.
I'm really interested in what doctors actually "do"
I gotta say that I find these two quotes somewhat contradictory -- how can you be so sure that you are made to be a doctor and nothing else if you don't actually know what being a doctor entails? I'd encourage you to use this shadowing experience as a learning tool for yourself. Also, keep your mind open as you go through high school and college.

You're almost surely not alone. I really didn't know what doctors did when I decided to pursue medicine. I'm glad I made this choice, but I do feel some sense of having gotten lucky since I was entering the field somewhat blind.

I gotta say that I find these two quotes somewhat contradictory -- how can you be so sure that you are made to be a doctor and nothing else if you don't actually know what being a doctor entails? I'd encourage you to use this shadowing experience as a learning tool for yourself. Also, keep your mind open as you go through high school and college.

You're almost surely not alone. I really didn't know what doctors did when I decided to pursue medicine. I'm glad I made this choice, but I do feel some sense of having gotten lucky since I was entering the field somewhat blind.

They could be enamored with the concept of being a physician, and feel like it's right for them. Sort of like walking along the storefronts of an outlet mall and being captivated by a particular dress.

The caveat for both situations, of course, is that you need to be sure that they fit.

@Conflagration That's a great way to put it.

@hamstergang I was saying that I have read about and heard about what doctors do and it sounds so awesome. The thing is, I haven't experienced it for myself. I need to see it with my own eyes to know if I truly belong.

I have a high school student shadowing me right now. In fact she's so fantastic I had her take the IRB courses to participate in clinical research and she is now doing database work and consenting subjects for a straightforward research study which doesn't involve an intervention, only observational. She was connected to me through a family friend, so I guess she was in the right place at the right time. If you have any connections, even distant, see if you can use them. At some large academic centers high school students can get access through volunteer services to observe/shadow, as long as a faculty member vouches for them. You just need the "in", if there's not a formal shadowing program offered there.

Good luck!

I have a high school student shadowing me right now. In fact she's so fantastic I had her take the IRB courses to participate in clinical research and she is now doing database work and consenting subjects for a straightforward research study which doesn't involve an intervention, only observational. She was connected to me through a family friend, so I guess she was in the right place at the right time. If you have any connections, even distant, see if you can use them. At some large academic centers high school students can get access through volunteer services to observe/shadow, as long as a faculty member vouches for them. You just need the "in", if there's not a formal shadowing program offered there.

Good luck!
I will keep that in mind. Thanks alot!!!