This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taleblazer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, the plan is that I attend a community college then transfer to a four-year university. Normally, in the transfer program, students take two years at community college and two years at university.

My plan is to use the ap credits I have to graduate in 1 year. I would have to take summer classes and 18 units per semester. Even though I have a passion for math and chemistry, I want to major in sociology because I enjoy it and it is a lot less work so my gpa won't suffer. Sociology has only 2 classes I need to take to apply for the major.

This can give me the chance to take general chem, beginning levels of physics and bio, then I can take the majority of my medical school prereqs (upper-level courses) my "sophomore" or "first" year in university. During April or May I would take the MCAT. My "senior" or "third" year during the application process is when I would take most of the upper division sociology classes and graduate.

My first question is: will I still be able to apply to medical school? Even though I will have graduated in 3 years.

If not, I can take the 2 year route, but: Does med school accept community college courses as pre reqs?

*side note* I plan on graduating a year early from high school as well, but with a substantial amount of AP credits.

Members don't see this ad.

Graduating early will not have a negative impact as long as you do well in those 3 years so you have nothing to worry there. However, I caution against rushing the process, schools don’t just look at grades—take time to make connections and do some meaningful EC’s throughout your undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
take time to make connections and do some meaningful EC’s throughout your undergrad.

Yes - my worries would be that two years on a campus may not be enough time to grow as a leader on that campus and have some of the activities medical schools expect. That being said, I would full recommend a gap year or two after college anyway to fill those gaps.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently, the plan is that I attend a community college then transfer to a four-year university. Normally, in the transfer program, students take two years at community college and two years at university.

My plan is to use the ap credits I have to graduate in 1 year. I would have to take summer classes and 18 units per semester. Even though I have a passion for math and chemistry, I want to major in sociology because I enjoy it and it is a lot less work so my gpa won't suffer. Sociology has only 2 classes I need to take to apply for the major.

This can give me the chance to take general chem, beginning levels of physics and bio, then I can take the majority of my medical school prereqs (upper-level courses) my "sophomore" or "first" year in university. During April or May I would take the MCAT. My "senior" or "third" year during the application process is when I would take most of the upper division sociology classes and graduate.

My first question is: will I still be able to apply to medical school? Even though I will have graduated in 3 years.

If not, I can take the 2 year route, but: Does med school accept community college courses as pre reqs?

*side note* I plan on graduating a year early from high school as well, but with a substantial amount of AP credits.
-Don't forget you need biochem before taking the MCAT.
-Ideally you'd have a few months to study for the MCAT when you aren't distracted with a heavy courseload.
-Some schools discourage prerequisites at a CC.
-Keep in mind that some schools average multiple MCAT scores, so plan to do well the first time.

Reactions: 1 user
Your plan isn't realistic. Most colleges require at least 2 years on campus for a degree. Taking AP credits and also CC credits won't work, as the real college will limit the number of credits accepted.

Also, don't use your AP credits. It's foolish. Just take the course in college. You probably didn't master the coursework in high school anyways, and if you did, then it's an easy A.

Also keep in mind that since you're a high school kid, it's too early to plan a career.

Why would you want to rush this process? Taking 18 credits a semester and class all summer, getting your EC’s and acing the MCAT, while doing research and building your network for good LOR. Just sounds like a bad idea. A lot of med schools don’t take AP and look down on community college work for pre reqs.

BAD IDEA