Can we make a separate subforum for 2009-2010 threads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amph119

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Makes sense...

Members don't see this ad.

It doesnt make sense that they exist and are posted by Shemarty. Wont she be in med school by Aug. and thus be unable to update the threads with secondary prompts?

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesnt make sense that they exist and are posted by Shemarty. Wont she be in med school by Aug. and thus be unable to update the threads with secondary prompts?

She specifically offered to do it, so I am sure she took that into account. And we don't need another subforum, as people don't add to the 2009-2010 they will quickly fall off the front page and be gone. Plus there is only like 2 to 3 weeks left of this cycle anyway...

True...

She specifically offered to do it, so I am sure she took that into account. And we don't need another subforum, as people don't add to the 2009-2010 they will quickly fall off the front page and be gone. Plus there is only like 2 to 3 weeks left of this cycle anyway...

Nice one. Careful, some people will actually believe you. :laugh:

I offered to do it, so of course I'm going to update the threads :rolleyes:

My school starts in September :p

We don't need a subforum. They're going to fall off the front page after today, and they wont re-appear until the summer. At that point, the 2008-2009 threads should be dying off.

I just wanted to make all of these in advance, and in one sitting, to ensure that the formatting is consistent, etc. That way everything's set up and ready to go for the new cycle.

See? I'm all done. All hundred and twenty-something threads are made!

All of the 2009-2010 threads have been moved to the new temporary 2009-2010 School Specific Discussions forum. Once this cycle is done, and ours begins, the threads will be moved back here.

All of the 2009-2010 threads have been moved to the new temporary 2009-2010 School Specific Discussions forum. Once this cycle is done, and ours begins, the threads will be moved back here.

Hmm, if we're going to do that... I wonder if it'd be better if we did organize them by year...

Would it be out of the question to just leave them in that subforum? And then put all the 2008-2009 ones in their own subforum? In the future, it would make it easier for applicants to look at previous years by going to the appropriate subforum.

Hmm, if we're going to do that... I wonder if it'd be better if we did organize them by year...

Would it be out of the question to just leave them in that subforum? And then put all the 2008-2009 ones in their own subforum? In the future, it would make it easier for applicants to look at previous years by going to the appropriate subforum.

We'll move them back in a month or two. Especially with the 15th coming up, the 2008-2009 threads need to be accessible. And it's just easier to move the newer ones to a new sub-forum and not confuse all the old thread users. :)

I think right now the plan is to move them back in a couple of months. We already have eleventy zillion subforums and don't really need any more; the current subforum is really just there as a holding place for these threads so that they could be made now and then brought back later. However, I'm sure we'll rediscuss what we want to do about either leaving the extra subforum in play or moving all of the threads back to this one later.

Ya I get that it is temporary, but if there are too many forums then making another one really won't help...what would be nice if there was a way to tag threads by year or something, some kind of label that would come up when people do a search. Maybe the school-specific discussions form could be subdivided by year, rather than making a lot of subforums on pre-allo. Myabe other people have other ideas? But if there are too many forums now, 2014 could just as easily go into the general school specific discussions and be bumped as necessary..
Anyway it's not a big deal, just didn't understand the explanation.

All of the new school application threads are labeled "2009-2010 X School of Medicine Application Thread" so that it will be clear which thread is for which year... is that what you mean by "tagging" the threads by year?

At this hour, it's entirely possible that I'm just not grasping what you're trying to ask/suggest...

What I was suggesting earlier was

Pre-Allo--> School Specific Discussions-->

general school specific discussions (for x school vs y school type questions)
2013 subforum
2014 subforum
2015 subforum

each of those year-specific subforums would have
120something threads, one for each school.

Although I did put 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 in the title of each thread, I also agree that it would be better organized if you could click on 2013 and see all the threads from 2013, and click on 2014 and see all the threads from 2014.

Especially in upcoming years, when there are 100 new threads per application cycle, it'll probably be really helpful to the new applicants to have the threads sorted by year, as opposed to having a massive 'school specific discussions' page with multiple hundreds of threads.

Theoretically the new ones stay at the top and the old ones disapear off the front page, but still.. why *not* put each year in its own subforum?

I think we should make a subforum for each school, and each will have a thread for that school in that particular year. Then we should make subthreads for each month of that year, and then subposts for each day. Also, these threads should not be bookmarkable, so in order to get to them you have to click about 5 different links.

Also the posts should be required to be in latin.

I think we should make a subforum for each school, and each will have a thread for that school in that particular year. Then we should make subthreads for each month of that year, and then subposts for each day. Also, these threads should not be bookmarkable, so in order to get to them you have to click about 5 different links.

Also the posts should be required to be in latin.

My suggestion was perfectly reasonable, there was really no need to make fun of it.

I spent a couple hours yesterday setting up those threads for next year's class, so I'd really appreciate it if we could keep the mocking to a minimum.

:mad:

My suggestion was perfectly reasonable, there was really no need to make fun of it.

I spent a couple hours yesterday setting up those threads for next year's class, so I'd really appreciate it if we could keep the mocking to a minimum.

Haha oh I'm just messing, it's just my personality I don't mean anything by it. It'll be helpful for this application cycle and many people will be in your debt :)

cookie.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.