Can I transfer as an incoming PGY1 to a different program before the 45 days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nala97

Reaction score
I got an offer to transfer to a new residency program that is closer to home, however it is in the same speciality. Realistically speaking, what are my risks if I transfer before the 45 days?

Members don't see this ad.

One thing I can think of is that you would likely be barred from applying to a fellowship position that uses the NRMP match system.

Reactions: 1 user
Tread carefully... if the other institution is a Match-participating institution, they have already violated the match agreement by offering you a spot: Reporting and Investigation of Violations . You would be marked as a violator by the NRMP if your resign before your 45 days are up. Most immediately, sanctions for violating your match agreement could (and likely would) involve being barred from accepting your new position.

If the other institution is completely outside the match, it's conceivable that you could just quit and accept that you're a match violator. You would likely be barred from participating in the match again. Whether or not that matters to you really depends on whether you ever will need to apply through ERAS again, either for fellowship or (hopefully not) need to re-apply to residency.

You could theoretically apply for a match waiver, but it is getting quite late for that, and it might be a long shot unless something has come up in the last 2 months that would qualify as an "unanticipated and serious hardship." And again... if it comes out that you already have another spot waiting in the wings, the NRMP is likely to label you and the program as violators.

By far, the best and safest route is to just show up and quit after 45 days. Whether that is a timeline that works for your new program is something you'd have to ask them.

Reactions: 5 users
You can only leave your residency before 45 days are up for an extreme hardship -- like a spouse/close family death, personal reasons such as just being diagnosed with cancer and need to delay, no longer are match eligible (ie, you failed final exams), or you decide that you no longer want to practice medicine. Other than that, you're stuck for 45 days. If you reach out to another program before those 45 days are up, you have violated the match and you can have your contract voided and be barred from participating in a match institution's GME for 3 years. It is NOT WORTH IT

Reactions: 3 users