Can I take Step 2 whenever I want?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ricepudding16

Reaction score
I am a new MD/PhD student in a program that does 3 years of medical school, followed by 4 years of PhD, and then 1 year of med school (instead of more traditional 2-4-2). As a result, MD/PhD students here take step 1 and step 2 before starting the PhD. I was reading somewhere that step 2 scores are getting higher every year. Would I be allowed to wait to take step 2 until after the PhD? If I am allowed, do you think this is a good idea? The thought of taking it so soon is stressing me out, especially because it is not P/F.

Members don't see this ad.

I would take both before the PhD.

There's no guarantee that a PhD will be 4 yrs (expect 5 straight up - I've even had friends take 6 yrs to finish). There is a time limit of when you have to take both step 1 and 2 (I think 7 yrs?) but I cannot stress how rusty you'll be after your PhD, esp if it was in something super basic and you haven't had to think about clinical management in a few years.

Do yourself the favor of not making your future self stressed over taking an exam that will def bear the brunt of the exam creep (look it up in the MD/PhD forum).

Reactions: 1 users
I would ask your upperclassmen and admin for advice. They could probably go into more specifics, and whether they want you to take it at a certain time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not really related, but is it ok if I take step 2 on sept 12? Will it matter if it arrives a little after sept 28 when residencies start reading apps?

From what I can recall, there's been published research on this and it says quite clearly that on average the people who do best on STEP 2 take it within a few months of STEP 1. There's so much carry over from all the bugs and pharmacology that people cram in via rote memorization leading up to the exam that people forget a ton of it when they take it 6+ months later. That goes for all the things you are learning on rotation as well.. so in that regard pushing it off 4 years would certainly be ill-advised for the average student. I'll look for the papers, but there's definitely been a few of them. I actually found out about this very thing from people posting links to the research here and on the subreddit.

edit:

A paper that indirectly correlates STEP 2 with STEP 1 tests, and sites 4 papers that more directly correlate it. These are those 4 papers:

The consensus is "sooner is better than later" when it comes to STEP 2CK, and that's within the confines of a typical MD curriculum where sooner means within months, not the 4 years which you are talking about. You could argue that.. well, you could argue plenty of things, but if I had to guess it would probably be better to not be finishing up your PhD while trying to remember some bugs and medications you learned half a decade previously.

Last edited:
From what I can recall, there's been published research on this and it says quite clearly that on average the people who do best on STEP 2 take it within a few months of STEP 1. There's so much carry over from all the bugs and pharmacology that people cram in via rote memorization leading up to the exam that people forget a ton of it when they take it 6+ months later. That goes for all the things you are learning on rotation as well.. so in that regard pushing it off 4 years would certainly be ill-advised for the average student. I'll look for the papers, but there's definitely been a few of them. I actually found out about this very thing from people posting links to the research here and on the subreddit.

edit:

A paper that indirectly correlates STEP 2 with STEP 1 tests, and sites 4 papers that more directly correlate it. These are those 4 papers:

The consensus is "sooner is better than later" when it comes to STEP 2CK, and that's within the confines of a typical MD curriculum where sooner means within months, not the 4 years which you are talking about. You could argue that.. well, you could argue plenty of things, but if I had to guess it would probably be better to not be finishing up your PhD while trying to remember some bugs and medications you learned half a decade previously.
Thanks so much for all of this! But do you think Step 2 will ever become pass fail?