Calcium gluconate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgicel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you give calcium gluconate only in hyperkalemia or for hypokalemia too, UWORLD give me a confusion explantion?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, but I thought calcium gluconate protected the heart against arrhythmias in both hyper and hypo K, I guess its mostly for hyperkalemia them.

Clinically, I have never seen anyone give calcium gluconate for hypokalemia.

One would think mechanistically it would work for either, but I've only seen it used for hyperK

No, it doesn't work for both.

"Normally the cardiac myocyte has a resting membrane potential(RMP is -90mV) and a threshold potential at which it is excited(TP is-75mV).So a 15mV depolarisation is needed to excite the myocyte. In hyperkalemia, the RMP becomes less negative (-80mV) , but the TP remains at -75mV. This means that ..now..only a 5mV depolarisation is enough to excite the myocyte. This is the cause of hyperexcitability leading to arrhythmia.Calcium gluconate...by increasing Ca transport across the membrane reduces the TP from -75mV to around -65mV ...restoring the 15mV depolarisation needed to excite the myocyte. (the numbers in mV are just an example)." ...... Annals of Emer Med 2011

You're basically giving the calcium to increase the positive charge in the cell because there isn't anything else that will raise it with lesser risk. But you've gotta watch out giving calcium gluconate to someone taking digoxin. Apparently in that case the calcium gluconate is reserved for hyperkalemia associated with loss of p waves and widening of the QRS (i.e., you wouldn't just give it cuz the t waves are spiked).