calc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thoughtsmeander

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys.

I plan to do a postbacc after i graduate in may 2005, with a liberal arts degree.
I have little experience with science classes at this point, but i plan to finish up gen biology and gen chem before i graduate. I want to complete physics and orgo after i graduate, and THEN take the MCAT and apply for post-bacc. I cant possibly fit all these classes into my remaining 3 semesters, so i thought this was the best idea... What do you guys think?

Plus i was wondering if i should take calc. I guess i dont necessarily need it, but i know it will help me understand physics. Do you recommend taking it?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, that's a good question. I wish that someone on the forum that is actually in med school could tell me do you REALLY need calc for anything in particular in med school?
The majority of the postbacs I've researched say "knowledge of algebra and trigonometry required." They usually don't say anything about calculus.
Also, thoughtsmeander, most of the postbac programs either only offer the non-calc physics, or give the students a choice between the calc-based and algebra-based.

I think doing a post-bacc is a great idea. If I could go back, I'd go liberal arts and post-bacc (b/c I wasn't all that successful as a premed during my undergrad).

As for Calculus, you can understand physics fine without it, but some med schools require it and others "strongly recommend it." My advisor told me to take it to improve my overall profile. So take it at a local city college if the schools you're applying to require it. You can google "Calculus requirements for medical schools" and come up with a list of math requirements for all med schools in the US.

Good luck!

Try pasting this into your browser
: www.ocs.fas.harvard.edu/ resources/health/Calculus%20req%20and%20AP%20conditions.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools offer trig based physics and calc based physics. I recently spoke with an ADCOM and they said they don't differentiate between the two. I too am a lib arts major (psyc) and the liked the fact I had taken several statistics course.

You don't need calculus. Pre-med physics is algebra based, not calculus based. And you DEFINITELY do not need calculus in med school. I'm telling you that you WILL use your physics, though, especially in physiology. It helps in understanding a lot of the concepts. I'm currently in med school, and they didn't care about calculus.

I would save the money and aggrevation, unless you just love math.

Just my opinion

good luck