CA County Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geodont

Reaction score
I’m looking at some county full time salaried positions in CA. Is it typical to not offer any vacation for the first year (earning 6 hours a month) and 4 hours of sick time per pay period (that doesn’t roll over)? Are you SOL if your newborn gets sick? I assume this is long how they’ve done things at counties, but sounds barbaric coming from academia.

The best part is offering only HMO or POS insurance plans (literally POS).

Members don't see this ad.

Location, much higher salary, pension w/ retirement at 52, telepsych from home that qualifies for public loan forgiveness (albeit 10hrs X 4 days might be intense but can even do Wednesdays off), no restrictions on building private practice or side gigs, union membership (hard to fire me?)/job security but isn’t most of psychiatry pretty secure?.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i think that’s pretty common in County jobs in california. It may depend on individual bargaining agreements, but there were some provisions about being able to use your sick day/vacation time if you need to and pay it back with your accrued hours later for new employees for first few months. You do get all the minor holidays off as well- like columbus day.

Reactions: 1 users
i think that’s pretty common in County jobs in california. It may depend on individual bargaining agreements, but there were some provisions about being able to use your sick day/vacation time if you need to and pay it back with your accrued hours later for new employees for first few months. You do get all the minor holidays off as well- like columbus day.
I noticed there is a generous holiday offering. Coming from some academic jobs that offer 4 weeks of PTO (both sick and vacation) on the surface it all looked less appealing but probably isn’t so bad.

County jobs are going to be highly variable. I wouldn't say what the OP is describing is common.

State law says that if you generate vacation, you start to generate it day one. It is probably the university that says you can not use it in the first 12 months. Go for the pension. That is hard to come by now days. LA has more people than about a third of states in our union. It's economy is roughly the size of Sweden's. Kind of scary when you learn that it is run by only 5 elected officials with almost no checks or balances. The city council has been not doing very well at staying out of trouble lately. Open microphones will get you every time.

State law says that if you generate vacation, you start to generate it day one. It is probably the university that says you can not use it in the first 12 months. Go for the pension. That is hard to come by now days. LA has more people than about a third of states in our union. It's economy is roughly the size of Sweden's. Kind of scary when you learn that it is run by only 5 elected officials with almost no checks or balances. The city council has been not doing very well at staying out of trouble lately. Open microphones will get you every time.
…It’s an LA county job with the county. From what I can tell, it’s their employee handbook that says vacation accrues from day 1 but goes “into reserve” for “a year.”