BUSPM STUDENTS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footshazam

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a friend who is a first year at Barry and they are curious how the 3rd and 4th year is at Barry. How is clinic? any insight would be appreciated. They don’t have this site so I’m asking for them. I tried to read on here but didn’t really find anything. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a reason why your friend can't directly connect with current 3rd and 4th years at their own school?

Maybe even talk to admin to get them in contact with some upperclassmen?

Email someone even?

If they're having trouble connecting with anyone in their own school, they've got bigger things to worry about.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Is there a reason why your friend can't directly connect with current 3rd and 4th years at their own school?

Maybe even talk to admin to get them in contact with some upperclassmen?

Email someone even?

If they're having trouble connecting with anyone in their own school, they've got bigger things to worry about.
As far as I know they haven’t gotten much info and they wanted to hear an unfiltered answer of how things are. Idk who they reached out to so far. I just told them I would pose the question here and show them what was said.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
3rd year rotations were great in my opinion. You get assigned to one of 3 Barry clinics (Tamarac, Jackson North, or Mercy) for one month (3 days a week - Wednesday thru Friday) Mondays and Tuesdays you have classes all day which wasn’t as fun but the classes were more interesting and more related to what we will be practicing. You also rotate thru IM, EM, vascular surgery, a resident rotation month in whatever hospital you make your “home hospital” such as Kendall, Aventura, Westside, Mercy, or Jackson North - I could be missing some. You also have one elective month in one of the following: general surgery, anesthesia, plastic surgery, or orthopedic surgery. There’s a form you fill out for your preference and we are told that it is first come first serve and based on class rank/gpa but that turned out not to be true and way off the mark lol. The rest of the time is filled in with clinics in the area.

4th year we do our clerkships from May-December, during that time we can take one month off and we have another month in a Barry clinic. The other 6 months you can travel to whatever programs you are interested in around the country. You have to apply to whatever programs you want for specific months you want and so you want to read the program clerkship threads to have a general idea or ask the upperclassmen what they thought of particular places. January we had off for the whole month for interviews and then we have 3, month long rotations to finish out 4th year in 2 local clinics and one more Barry clinic based on our preferences - this one they did a good job taking into account where we wanted to go. Rotations are Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. During your Barry clinic month it’s only Mondays and Tuesdays. We have classes for half days on Wednesday but it’s super laid back and more geared towards preparing us for residency with case studies and stuff.

I hope this helps! Let me know if anyone has any more questions and I’d be happy to answer.

Reactions: 4 users
3rd year rotations were great in my opinion. You get assigned to one of 3 Barry clinics (Tamarac, Jackson North, or Mercy) for one month (3 days a week - Wednesday thru Friday) Mondays and Tuesdays you have classes all day which wasn’t as fun but the classes were more interesting and more related to what we will be practicing. You also rotate thru IM, EM, vascular surgery, a resident rotation month in whatever hospital you make your “home hospital” such as Kendall, Aventura, Westside, Mercy, or Jackson North - I could be missing some. You also have one elective month in one of the following: general surgery, anesthesia, plastic surgery, or orthopedic surgery. There’s a form you fill out for your preference and we are told that it is first come first serve and based on class rank/gpa but that turned out not to be true and way off the mark lol. The rest of the time is filled in with clinics in the area.

4th year we do our clerkships from May-December, during that time we can take one month off and we have another month in a Barry clinic. The other 6 months you can travel to whatever programs you are interested in around the country. You have to apply to whatever programs you want for specific months you want and so you want to read the program clerkship threads to have a general idea or ask the upperclassmen what they thought of particular places. January we had off for the whole month for interviews and then we have 3, month long rotations to finish out 4th year in 2 local clinics and one more Barry clinic based on our preferences - this one they did a good job taking into account where we wanted to go. Rotations are Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. During your Barry clinic month it’s only Mondays and Tuesdays. We have classes for half days on Wednesday but it’s super laid back and more geared towards preparing us for residency with case studies and stuff.

I hope this helps! Let me know if anyone has any more questions and I’d be happy to answer.
Thanks a lot for your answer! I’ll pass the information along to my friend!

Reactions: 1 users
Barry probably has the best rotations and 4th year clerk structure.
You get the most clerkship whole months before interviews of any pod school (5-7), and you get flexibility (depending on if you do the month off to study for interviews/boards/vaca). The best play is usually just to max clerkships and use the home clinic month later on in the cycle to study (hours are not bad at all... and Miami is a never-ending vaca), or take Dec off to relax and prep for Jan interviews if you want a vaca month. You want Nov home clinic month and Dec month off for best scenario imo... Nov off and Dec home is ok... or just Dec home month is fine if no vaca month off. Remember that you'll get some time in early January shortly before CRIP to study also. Forget that noise about being "memorable" or "you'll know more" by clerking at top choices late in the cycle and months right before interviews. The stars always shine.

Clerkships after interviews are just wasted money, and Barry doesn't have those.

It has been awhile since I went there, but I talk to a few faculty. Most has not changed a ton...
The skills labs (cast, IV, inject, orthotics, exam, etc) are adequate, but you will get more actual patient reps at Barry than most schools. That and the clerk schedule are Barry's biggest strengths. :cool:

The local 3rd year rotations in Miami are pretty good. It's a big city with a lot of people and diverse path.
Some medicine hospitals are better than others... all adequate, most are at least small teaching hospitals. Some will teach more; others are more you get what you put in. Regardless, no going out of the city to do ER, surgery, internal med, etc like other pod schools do ("core").

The school-run podiatry clinics are ok and varied in focus (sports, wound, gen pod, etc), but volume is not amazing (no pod school clinic is amazing path/volume... it's to teach you the basics). Barry's are nearly all pretty busy relative to other pod schools... no sitting holding up the wall with 4 students per patient like some other pod schools' clinics. You will see patients and do notes on your own or sometimes with partner or resident or fellow. USE YOUR 4th YEAR STUDENTS or residents in the clinic to learn from... the good ones, obviously. You will later meet most other pod schools' students out on clerkships who have seriously hardly even done an injection, wound debride, presented a pt to attending, applied a splint, hands-on exam, etc because their clinics are very slow or they just do mostly "simulated patients."
Most Temple, most Scholl, and some NY and some SMU, and rare students from the newer pod schools will also be fairly comfortable with pts and hands-on on early clerkships also. From Barry, you will definitely have among the most 3rd year exam and procedure reps if you applied yourself. You should be prepared to present patients well and make dx and tx plans fairly well. Most pod students are VERY green on procedures and exams going into clerkships since their school's pod clinics are slow or they just have way too many students-to-pts ratio, mostly just nails in clinic, etc. Feel lucky.

The private Miami pod clinics ("local clinics") in 4th year (after interviews) are usually busier than the school ones... because they're PP attendings (although most are affiliated with local residencies). Some are better path; some are boring. It's variable; some teach and others won't unless prompted. Either way, you can absolutely pick up some practice management tips (and probably see some surgery or hospital consulting if you get an attending who does a fair bit of it). Ask for a copy of superbill, observe scripts and office good/bad aspects, ask coding or medical questions when the doc is not busy, etc. When at the Barry clinics, teach 3rd year students exam, presentation, XR reads, etc. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Barry probably has the best rotations and 4th year clerk structure.
You get the most clerkship whole months before interviews of any pod school (5-7), and you get flexibility (depending on if you do the month off to study for interviews/boards/vaca). The best play is usually just to max clerkships and use the home clinic month later on in the cycle to study (hours are not bad at all... and Miami is a never-ending vaca), or take Dec off to relax and prep for Jan interviews if you want a vaca month. You want Nov home clinic month and Dec month off for best scenario imo... Nov off and Dec home is ok... or just Dec home month is fine if no vaca month off. Remember that you'll get some time in early January shortly before CRIP to study also. Forget that noise about being "memorable" or "you'll know more" by clerking at top choices late in the cycle and months right before interviews. The stars always shine.

Clerkships after interviews are just wasted money, and Barry doesn't have those.

It has been awhile since I went there, but I talk to a few faculty. Most has not changed a ton...
The skills labs (cast, IV, inject, orthotics, exam, etc) are adequate, but you will get more actual patient reps at Barry than most schools. That and the clerk schedule are Barry's biggest strengths. :cool:

The local 3rd year rotations in Miami are pretty good. It's a big city with a lot of people and diverse path.
Some medicine hospitals are better than others... all adequate, most are at least small teaching hospitals. Some will teach more; others are more you get what you put in. Regardless, no going out of the city to do ER, surgery, internal med, etc like other pod schools do ("core").

The school-run podiatry clinics are ok and varied in focus (sports, wound, gen pod, etc), but volume is not amazing (no pod school clinic is amazing path/volume... it's to teach you the basics). Barry's are nearly all pretty busy relative to other pod schools... no sitting holding up the wall with 4 students per patient like some other pod schools' clinics. You will see patients and do notes on your own or sometimes with partner or resident or fellow. USE YOUR 4th YEAR STUDENTS or residents in the clinic to learn from... the good ones, obviously. You will later meet most other pod schools' students out on clerkships who have seriously hardly even done an injection, wound debride, presented a pt to attending, applied a splint, hands-on exam, etc because their clinics are very slow or they just do mostly "simulated patients."
Most Temple, most Scholl, and some NY and some SMU, and rare students from the newer pod schools will also be fairly comfortable with pts and hands-on on early clerkships also. From Barry, you will definitely have among the most 3rd year exam and procedure reps if you applied yourself. You should be prepared to present patients well and make dx and tx plans fairly well. Most pod students are VERY green on procedures and exams going into clerkships since their school's pod clinics are slow or they just have way too many students-to-pts ratio, mostly just nails in clinic, etc. Feel lucky.

The private Miami pod clinics ("local clinics") in 4th year (after interviews) are usually busier than the school ones... because they're PP attendings (although most are affiliated with local residencies). Some are better path; some are boring. It's variable; some teach and others won't unless prompted. Either way, you can absolutely pick up some practice management tips (and probably see some surgery or hospital consulting if you get an attending who does a fair bit of it). Ask for a copy of superbill, observe scripts and office good/bad aspects, ask coding or medical questions when the doc is not busy, etc. When at the Barry clinics, teach 3rd year students exam, presentation, XR reads, etc. :thumbup:
Thanks Feli for a great answer too! Will pass this along as well!

This comment might get removed, but I gotta give a shout out to @Feli for his continuous effort and dedication.
His genuine and helpful advice to students speaks volumes. Truly legendary.

Reactions: 2 users