Business Major for Audiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Loopy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I know there are a ton of posts like this and im sorry for contributing to the long long list, however, I've yet to find someone else in the same situation as me.

So here's the deal I am about to end my Junior year at Creighton University, I just recently discovered the field of Audiology and think it's what I actually want to do. One problem: I am a Accounting/MIS major. Do you think this will hurt me? I've taken some social sciences course two communications course, no biology/physics/chemistry classes. However, I do have what I think is a very strong resume. i'll post my states at the end. My questions for you are:

1. Do I have a chance at all without any real audiology or communication study work

2. Are there any programs you all suggest, as I am just starting my research.

Stats:
3.67 GPA
GRE: havent taken it yet, but feel confident I can get a respectable score
Two time president of my fraternity
over 30 hours of community service a semester every semester since freshman year
All of this done while holding an IT internship at a fortune 500 company that required me to work 20 hours a week during the school year.

Any information you can give me would be super duper greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools require a degree in CSD, I don't know why... But what I would do is try to find an Audiologist you can shadow this summer, so you at least have something to put in your application, and something to relate to when writing your essay. Your GPA is pretty good, if you can get above a combined score of 300 on the GRE you should be pretty well off.

Members don't see this ad :)
With what you have right now? Not much of a chance of getting into many programs. Most programs either require a degree in hearing speech sciences or communication disorders sciences or certain pre-req courses to get in. Yes you can get in with a business degree and it would be of great benefit if you plan on opening your own practice. You would bring a lot of good business knowledge to your audiology program (something sorely lacking in almost all programs IMO!), but you would need to take the pre-req courses to really be a viable candidate for selection for an audiology program.

I checked the Creighton University website and I do not see any courses for hearing or speech. You might have to take them from another university. University of Nebraska Lincoln has an audiology program. You might be able to take some of these courses online through them or it's only about an hour's drive to them from where you are now, why not take some classes there? It would give you great way to meet the faculty in the Audiology program and let them get to know your name and face.

I know I had a pre-med biology degree and a Psychology degree and I still had to take about 6 communication disorders courses to be considered for any graduate programs in Audiology.

There are some programs that take non-CSD majors. The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, for one does. No per-requisites required. Look into the programs you are interested in applying to first and check and see if any of those will accept a non-major.

Thank you so much the Ear Doc! I really really appreciate you going through that much work for me! I will definitely look into that!

Thank you TennaciousD i will definitely look into that !