Business education for Med Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mward04

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many curriculums are jam packed leaving no time for any business education. Residency is pretty much the same way. :confused: So...

• How would you go about educating medical students/residents/doctors etc. in business?
  • What do you think the average "lay" students/residents/doctors etc. need to know about business to succeed?
  • Would this differ by level of training?

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

mward04 said:
Many curriculums are jam packed leaving no time for any business education. Residency is pretty much the same way. :confused: So...

• How would you go about educating medical students/residents/doctors etc. in business?
  • What do you think the average "lay" students/residents/doctors etc. need to know about business to succeed?
  • Would this differ by level of training?

Mike

Oh jeez,
You just opened up a CAN of worms. I don't have much time to write but I do have some interesting insight to this topic. I will have to come back and update my comments when I have the time.

On the topic of medical students getting a business education I believe it should be mandatory. They need not know EVERYTHING about business but the background for life experience purposes is INVALUABLE. I would expect doctors making the $500K + a year to at least take an interest in their business/personal investments, etc. But from first hand experience, most right out of school are clueless and even for the first 10 years or so. I have dealt with doctors as I was a commercial loan credit analyst for 2 years and we did many the doctors offices. With the smaller practices, I had problems even getting a PARTNERSHIP agreement from them. Not that complicate of a document as your practice and income is based off of this. Tax returns? Deal with the office mgr only b/c most of the time they have NO clue. Accounts/Lawyers/Ofc Mgrs do everything for the doctors. And I hope that the doctor trusts them! Additionally some of the unnecessary debt that was racked up, not a good sign. But everyone always said "He/She's a doctor. No brainer." I wanted to say, well doctors can file for Chp 7/11/13 too! Granted, not all doctors are business-wise "foolish" but from what I saw and the amount of money they make, I wonder what the heck were they doing! (when they needed a $150K line of credit personally for "malpractice" insurance ... right ... it really was for insurance).

I, myself, find it extremely hard to rely on other peoples judgement and prefer to be educated slightly on the subjects I'm dealing with. I consider myself an all-around person and I do not want to talk to a laywer or my financial planner without having an understanding of what someone is talking about. Especially when it has to do with my money and my job on the line. But at the same time, one can not do everything. YOu need to rely on others like acct/laywers/ofc mgrs BUT, if you don't know a thing about it, its not going to help you make the educated decisions necessary in the business world.

On the personal side ... I was talking to a friend of mine who is a 4th year about match and finances, etc. He was so clueless about anything financial and felt that med school doesn't prepare you on how to handle finances out of med school. He was jealous that I have such a broad experience with my undergrad (he was a biochem major) that I have had a little of everything while all he has ever known is science. Flipside of the coin, I also know those who double majored in business/econ and sciences and appreciated business aspect alot more.

I believe that future MD/DO's need to know about how a business functions whether it be in a hospital/practice etc. Understanding how income/expenses are generated also can ultimately help the doctor make more money for themself in the long running. Also, ignorance to personal expenses (especially in the day and age of falling salaries) would be an immense help to relieve the burden that some doctors face with the debt that they accumulate.

How to go about doing this? Great question. As you can tell, I am huge advocate of business education for doctors (and the general public as well) but how do you tack on classes? Maybe have seminars? Summer seminars? Online information classes? Self-study classes? Extend degree?

I'm sure some might disagree with my outlook on business and medicine, claiming that administration can handle it. That is understandable. Doctors are highly intelligent people. But most have a little understanding of business and the knowledge wouldn't harm you, especially in personal aspects. It would help you manage your debt, open your new practice, and maybe expand your knowledge on retirement accounts.

Finished!

It is not entirely the medical student's/physician's fault.

In every stage of the process of becoming a physician, if you look at what is needed to get to the next stage, a business education is not one of them. The crucial stage surrounds the residency process. I believe that until residency directors start placing some emphasis/relevance on basic business knowledge, it will be hard to incorporate this into a medical curriculum in a sufficient way.

A medical student's primary focus is getting into a good residency and at this time, there is a prime emphasis on research (we all know folks who have done it with NO interest at all). The medical curriculum has finite space and time, and most students would be against (this might be surprising) mandating extra time for business classes especially if there is a perception that there is not enough time for research (arguably of greater value for a medstudent).

An approach my medical school used was to allow for "concentrations" during your 4th year, one of which is business/management related. This one is by far the LEAST popular. The most popular..... you guessed it..... research-based (physician-scientist one) followed by public health one then by humanities.

Just a thought...

Members don't see this ad :)
ortho-mdmba said:
It is not entirely the medical student's/physician's fault.

In every stage of the process of becoming a physician, if you look at what is needed to get to the next stage, a business education is not one of them. The crucial stage surrounds the residency process. I believe that until residency directors start placing some emphasis/relevance on basic business knowledge, it will be hard to incorporate this into a medical curriculum in a sufficient way.

A medical student's primary focus is getting into a good residency and at this time, there is a prime emphasis on research (we all know folks who have done it with NO interest at all). The medical curriculum has finite space and time, and most students would be against (this might be surprising) mandating extra time for business classes especially if there is a perception that there is not enough time for research (arguably of greater value for a medstudent).

An approach my medical school used was to allow for "concentrations" during your 4th year, one of which is business/management related. This one is by far the LEAST popular. The most popular..... you guessed it..... research-based (physician-scientist one) followed by public health one then by humanities.

Just a thought...

And a true thought of that. Med School is for medicine, not for business ... so life continues the way it was. :(

I'm an MBA who went back for an MD/PhD, so perhaps I have a slightly different perspective as there is a difference b/w an biz person in medicine and the converse. Anyway, I've been trying to get my school to put something together with our B-school (an excellent program with a huge health care concentration), but to no avail. The med and research types think that biz people are contaminated by the filthy lucre (well, that's a BIT of an exaggeration, but not much), and the biz people have enough on their plate that they need the med/research types to really push. So, nothing happens.

This type of cross-fertilization is crucial, IMHO. I've never seen such a poorly run endeavor/set of endeavors as the hospital/labs - it's really a shame. Not sure what to do at this point - no one is all that interested in what an 8th year has to say anyway. Maybe later......

As far as time, I think we all have alot of free time in the 4th year, at least with traditional curricula. Check out your associated B-school for interest groups and start going to them, as an example.

NOT getting some exposure to business during your 4 years of med school is a problem. There really should be time. Can't speak to residency.

Sorry for any typos - rushing.

P