BU (IS) vs NOVA (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocm3

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I have been fortunate enough to receive to acceptances this cycle. any advice would be welcomed.

IS
Pros:
  • Brand new facility
  • Ability to specialize
  • APEX program summer of D1
  • Done with pre reqs
  • Loved facility
  • Loved accepted students
  • Like city area
  • New technology
  • close to home
  • Good class size (115)
Cons:
  • Super expensive (around 91k per year for tuition) total around 352K
  • Living will be expensive
  • 33% specialize
  • Competitive with clinical experience because of other schools in city
  • Bottom 5-10% drop out??
School 2: NOVA
OOS
Pros:
  • Area is beautiful
  • MBA program!!
  • Take science classes w other health professionals
  • Implementing new technology
  • Residencies in house
  • Good class size (122)
  • 40% specialize
Cons:
  • Not done w pre-reqs yet ( need to take microbio)
  • Expensive (around 75k a year tuition.. 338k total)
  • Far from home- with flights yearly may add up to BU total cost
  • have read bad things about it- but not sure how true they are
Summary: I applied to the Army HPSP scholarship and put down a deposit at BU. Would like the ability to go to a place that would allow me to be best prepared to specialize. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally think BU will be a better school. Think about where you want to practice after you graduate. Florida isn't cheap to live either... so that total cost will be much higher.

MBA program will also cost you an extra year + additional tuition so factor that into your decision, those loans will still accrue interest. HPSP isn't a guarantee so assume you won't get it, and if you do that's great!

BU sounds like a no-brainer here for me, honestly. You can specialize from any school, just gotta work for it.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally think BU will be a better school. Think about where you want to practice after you graduate. Florida isn't cheap to live either... so that total cost will be much higher.

MBA program will also cost you an extra year + additional tuition so factor that into your decision, those loans will still accrue interest. HPSP isn't a guarantee so assume you won't get it, and if you do that's great!

BU sounds like a no-brainer here for me, honestly. You can specialize from any school, just gotta work for it.
Thank you for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don’t get HPSP, go to the cheapest school. If you do, go to the one you’re most comfortable at and where you would enjoy living. You can specialize regardless of what school you go to, some schools it may be a little easier with more time off to visit programs. Personally I’ve never been to Boston, but Fort Lauderdale sounds awesome