Program-Specific Info / Q's Brenau OT School Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Km1221

Reaction score
Hello! I have an interview with Brenau this coming Friday 1/17. This will be my first ever OT school interview and I am pretty nervous! I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the kinds of questions they will ask or just any general information about this specific program! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I’m a student there now! The interviews are very laid back. Just be yourself and be confident!! They’re group interviews. Try to have a general idea to the typical OT questions - “why OT? Describe a time you had to deal with conflict, etc.” try to do some research and have questions to ask them after the interview. You will also have time to ask some of the current students some questions that wont be reoported back to anyone else, and it’s a time where you wont be assessed (so relax!!!). There is a short writing portion, but you cant really prep for it. Just be aware! Best of luck, Brenau is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi! I’m a student there now! The interviews are very laid back. Just be yourself and be confident!! They’re group interviews. Try to have a general idea to the typical OT questions - “why OT? Describe a time you had to deal with conflict, etc.” try to do some research and have questions to ask them after the interview. You will also have time to ask some of the current students some questions that wont be reoported back to anyone else, and it’s a time where you wont be assessed (so relax!!!). There is a short writing portion, but you cant really prep for it. Just be aware! Best of luck, Brenau is awesome

Thank you so much for your reply! I always stress myself out before any kind of interview but this definitely helps! I know that the total time I will be there is about 3.5 hours but there are a lot of components to it. Do you remember how long the actual group interview is before doing all the other components like the tour and student Q&A? I have watched some videos and the campus looks beautiful! I am from NC and have always lived here so I am pretty excited to see a school out of state!

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on which group you are in as to the order of your day! (Some people interview last and write first with a tour in the middle, just depends!). I will forewarn, the area directly around the school is not the prettiest, but the location and the little town of Gainesville is amazing! There is so many opportunities for OT here. I really hope you enjoy your time here!

Oh I see! So they must interview a lot of people then in one day. I thought we were the only group doing the interview for the whole day! thank you again so much for answering my questions!

Oh I see! So they must interview a lot of people then in one day. I thought we were the only group doing the interview for the whole day! thank you again so much for answering my questions!

Not a problem at all!! From what my interview was like before it’s usually 1 large group of people broken up into groups of 3-~6. I’m sure you’ll do great though! Goodluck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
hi! I went to their interview day in October. There were around 35-40 students broken into 5 groups. My group interview had 8 applicants and 2 faculty members. Even though the group interview lasted an hour, they only asked about 4 questions because it took so long for everyone to answer.
good luck!

hi! I went to their interview day in October. There were around 35-40 students broken into 5 groups. My group interview had 8 applicants and 2 faculty members. Even though the group interview lasted an hour, they only asked about 4 questions because it took so long for everyone to answer.
good luck!
Wow that’s a lot of people in a group interview! Did you kind of get to know people a little bit before you sat down for the interview? I just Hope it’s more conversational than what I’m thinking in my head! Do you remember what questions they asked you and how the essay was?

yeah, you're with the same group for all of the interview day activities so you kind of become friendly with each other. but if you have your group interview first on your schedule, then you won't have as much time to socialize with your group beforehand. the interview was relatively laid back though!
and the nice thing about having so many people is that you can answer whenever you want to. so if you can't think of how you want to answer right away, you can let some other people go first so you can collect your thoughts before you answer.
the essay wasn't too bad, you can't prepare too much beforehand. mine had a quote and you had to respond with your thoughts and how it relates to OT. you'll do great!

Congrats on the interview! I also have a interview with Milligan next Friday and I am wondering if any has any suggestions on questions to ask during my interview, my advisor suggested open ended questions but I am having a hard time coming up with any

Congrats on the interview! I also have a interview with Milligan next Friday and I am wondering if any has any suggestions on questions to ask during my interview, my advisor suggested open ended questions but I am having a hard time coming up with any

Hey! Congrats on your interview! I looked up and researched their program and looked to see if they had any videos and I kind of asked based on what I read For example, Brenau has a center for productive living and I just asked about that. I also asked why they decided to teach at Brenau. They can really tell when you’ve done your research on their program because it shows you have a lot of interest. You don’t have to just ask questions about the program though. The 2 people who interviewed me were still practicing while teaching so I asked what kinds of populations they were working with. You could also ask about their research opportunities.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Check your emails

Just got an email I was accepted! I probably accepting the offer because I got accepted to a school closer and cheaper, but still a nice confidence booster!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, you got accepted into breanu today?

Yeah I got an email this morning. I meant In my previous response that I probably will not be accepting the offer due to being accepted to a school closer to where I live. So my seat will open up.

Yeah I got an email this morning. I meant In my previous response that I probably will not be accepting the offer due to being accepted to a school closer to where I live. So my seat will open up.
Oh okay congrats! I got waitlisted this morning. But good luck on your future OT student endeavors!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I got an acceptance email yesterday as well! But, I will be giving up my spot since I was already accepted into my first choice! Hopefully someone will be able to take my spot, good luck everyone!

I just got waitlisted for Brenau on Tuesday... a little bummed but still hopeful! Has anyone on the waitlist heard back from them yet??

I just got waitlisted for Brenau on Tuesday... a little bummed but still hopeful! Has anyone on the waitlist heard back from them yet??
No not yet the email said they’ll email back in mid March if seats open up. I just wish they could share your wait list ranking ☹️

I think at the interview they said they normally go through the waitlist, so don’t lose hope! I was waitlisted at my top school for a week and a half and heard back friday I was accepted! They gave me until March 16 to let them know but I will be emailing them today/tomorrow to let them know :) I’ll be giving up my spot at Brenau so good luck!!

Current student at Brenau here- hello!!! Of the most recent class of students, over half of the cohort was from the waitlist. Dont give up yet!

I think at the interview they said they normally go through the waitlist, so don’t lose hope! I was waitlisted at my top school for a week and a half and heard back friday I was accepted! They gave me until March 16 to let them know but I will be emailing them today/tomorrow to let them know :) I’ll be giving up my spot at Brenau so good luck!!
Thank you! Good luck to you!

I'll be turning down my spot as well. Best of luck to everyone!

I know COVID-19 is definitely affecting Brenau’s ability to release March decisions on time, but has anyone on the waitlist heard anything from them yet?