Boston U vs UNLV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stae1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've also been accepted to USC, but it's ridiculously expensive (and I did undergrad there. I know how expensive it can be haha) so I'm ruling out that one. Not to mention students there telling me that they do less studying than they did as undergrad at USC, (and doing much better in terms of grades) which is VERY concerning imo.

Overall, BU is going to cost me approximately 100K more than UNLV when taking in account of living expenses and auxiliary fees.

UNLV does get you 5000 hours of exposure to patients (with 2nd years seeing their own patients)

However, I'd like to specialize in the future. UNLV offers only 2 specialties in ortho and pediatric, whereas BU offers basically everything. (though, UNLV faculty told me that because of so much hands on experience that their students often get the best specialty all over)

How would you guys approach this? would studying in BU will allow me to have better chances of getting accepted to their specialties? Is going to BU for slightly better name value worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you'd be happy at either place, honestly. However, if specializing is what you want to do, BU might be the best option for you. Not only, you'd get to experience a new side of the country you've (I'm assuming) never lived on, as well as have the BU name (although it doesn't really matter).

I'll probably be roasted for this, but as a dentist you'll make plenty of money in your life. You will be better off than almost everyone in the US (if not the world), so I wouldn't look at 100K more for BU as the end-all-be-all. Yes it's a lot of money, I'm not saying it's not. But you'll be able to make that up as a dentist. I think you should go where you want to go, the place that will give you everything you are looking for in a school. If specializing is something you want, I think BU would be your best option. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)