Boards timeline for a new residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogSnoot

Reaction score
Hi, I think this might be helpful for all new podiatry graduates who are entering residency. Could anyone give more insight on the board(s) we are expected to take through out our three year residency ?

1) what are ABFAS in-house training ?
2) what is ACFAS qualifying exams?
3) when should ABPM cert be obtained ?
3) how did you study for them outside of case preparation ?
4) what other exams should we put on our schedule that might help us?
5) how does our out of state licensing work and when should we look into obtaining this license during out employment search ?

Any additional links and general info would help as I found this is often not discussed.

Edit- I realize this is a basic question but might help someone trying to figure out the process.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's mostly a self-assessment. I wouldn't spend inordinate time studying for it during residency but at the same time take it somewhat seriously. The in-training exam is like your FS, the BQ exam is like your HgA1c
I assume you mean ABFAS? Yes there are too damn many alphabet soup organizations in our tiny tiny profession but try not to be one of those pods who confuses these things. This is the test before the test, you take it spring of your PGY3 year and it qualifies you to submit cases and take the certifying exam for ABFAS.
If you can knock it out the year you graduate residency, it makes credentialing for hospitals and insurance companies a lot easier.
ABFAS: Apparently I wrote a post in 2017 about this that everyone seemed to find really helpful. The most important thing is to come to cases prepared and pay attention. Even if you're just retracting, try to see what's going on. If your attending doesn't do it by the book, try to figure out why they didn't? If they're cool, they won't mind telling you why they do it their way. I didn't need to study too much for the BQ exam because I felt prepared.

Case submission is a totally different animal, I'm not certified in ABFAS so someone else can comment.

ABPM: this test has about an 85% pass rate, and I fear for the 15%. This profession does not gatekeep well, and if you struggle with ABPM, consider it a sign that you're in the wrong line of work.
You can become a certified mixologist by taking an online course
5) how does our out of state licensing work and when should we look into obtaining this license during out employment search ?
Because podiatry, every state has significantly different requirements. I highly recommend seeking licensure in American Samoa for the coveted Utah reciprocity.

In my residency, we were contractually obligated to become licensed after PGY1 year, which I did. I was not allowed to moonlight, but if you end up at a country club program you could theoretically use that licensure to start a part time mobile podiatry LLC and learn a little business by trial and error. You may not like where that path takes you however. Otherwise, spring of PGY3 year is a good time to look into applying for license(s) in states you might want to work. The process is annoying and expensive but it helps when applying for jobs if you already have a license.

Reactions: 1 users
Our residency mandated ABFAS ITE but not ABPM ITE. Kinda wish they did both.

I am proudly ABPM. Secured a great surgical gig after residency with it. ABFAS has its merits for making you a more competitive applicant... with the market as it is, if I were you i’d go for both when the time comes.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am proudly ABPM. Secured a great surgical gig after residency with it. ABFAS has its merits for making you a more competitive applicant... with the market as it is, if I were you i’d go for both when the time comes.
I agree go for both if you are try to get the max advantage in the market. But like you I am ABPM. And will stay ABPM only.

It can be confusing for residents. My program director made it seem like it was mandatory to be ABFAS qualified leaving residency or else we would not be able to operate or get a job. This led to a lot of unneeded stress for us.

The reality couldn’t be further from the truth. I was able to get on staff at multiple major hospitals without ABFAS qualification just based on my residency surgical logs alone. I eventually got qualified but have little desire to pursue certification unless necessary. If I’m able to still have hospital privileges with just ABPM I’ll take and certify via that route. I’m not heavily surgical anyways and have no desire to do cases that’ll step on orthos toes (no pun intended). I just want to be able to take care of my patients if they get admitted and amp/i&d as needed with the occasional soft tissue work or bunion.

Last edited:
Going to stick with my brother in fungus @DYK343 and say your timeline is as soon as possible

Going to stick with my brother in fungus @DYK343 and say your timeline is as soon as possible
If youre a PP pod who does minimal surgery follow Hybrocures advice. No need to go crazy if local hospitals accept ABPM for priviliges.

But if you want to be busy surgically, hospital/ortho/MSG employed get ABFAS with RRA.
Not 100% mandatory but is going to make everything much easier.
Also, job search is fairly easy for these positions once you have foot/RRA

I agree go for both if you are try to get the max advantage in the market. But like you I am ABPM. And will stay ABPM only.
can we take ABPM during 3rd year residency ? Tried to find that information but it isn't clear. Thank you

can we take ABPM during 3rd year residency ? Tried to find that information but it isn't clear. Thank you
Why do you need to? Pass at least foot ABFAS cert since residency is already paying for it. Ride that for a few years and get ABPM at your convenience. ABFAS foot cert is good enough for credentialing purposes.

Hi, I think this might be helpful for all new podiatry graduates who are entering residency. Could anyone give more insight on the board(s) we are expected to take through out our three year residency ?
Perhaps you will take APMLE Part 3, if you haven’t already.

The other exams aren’t really “board exams” per se. They’re In-training Exams.

The purpose of the In-training Exam (for ABFAS or ABPM) is to assess your current progress in residency toward board certification. They are given each year and are a different exam for PGY1, 2, and 3.

But if you pass the 3rd year (Final Year) ABFAS In-training Exam (which is a combination of 4 tests, 2 for foot and 2 for RRA) then as long as you pay an additional $300 “conversion fee” for each of the 4 parts you passed, you can be board qualified. You must pass both parts of foot to be board qualified in foot. You must pass all 4 parts (and pay $1200) to be board qualified in RRA.
ABFAS Board Qualification is the first 2 or first 4 (if you count RRA) exams you take from ABFAS. You have no official status with ABFAS until you pass either foot or RRA qualification exams. Then you are “Board Qualified”.

ABPM doesn’t have a separate qualification exam. It is combined with the certification exam and now every graduate of a CPME approved residency has an official status with ABPM, “Board Eligible”. This is similar to ABMS (MD boards) terminology and process.
As early as October after you graduate from residency.
You should start studying from day 1 in residency.
A subspecialty exam, CAQ, HBO, or even research, but all depends on what your practice is.
Someone below covered this. Every state is different. If you already know which state you will practice in, start looking up the requirements early. Some states can take 6 months or more and require separate tests.

I’ve heard this from some previous grads. But this won’t be the case any longer.

The new CPME 320 document (in effect tomorrow) requires all residents take an In-training Exam each year, and that each resident must take at least one of ABPM or ABFAS ITE in their 3 years.

• Care
Why do you need to? Pass at least foot ABFAS cert since residency is already paying for it. Ride that for a few years and get ABPM at your convenience. ABFAS foot cert is good enough for credentialing purposes.

Thank you for your response. I'm asking for the worst scenario if I fail ABFAS qualification during 3rd year @@. I will try to pass 3rd year in training ABFAS. Thanks again

You must pass all 4 parts (and pay $1200) to be board qualified in RRA.
Even though residency programs have paid for the exams thrice over, big daddy ABFAS wants $1200 more for the privilege to grace your name with those letters after your name.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do all programs do the ABFAS ITE and then ABFAS qualifying exam? Or do some make residents pay for it themselves?

Do all programs do the ABFAS ITE and then ABFAS qualifying exam? Or do some make residents pay for it themselves?
It’s the same exam (4 exams) if you take the FYITE. The program is required to pay for 1 ITE per year, because that’s in the CPME 320 standards. So if you take the 3rd year ABFAS ITE, yes the program will pay for it. ABFAS ITE is $250, ABPM is currently $200, but will go to $250 starting this year.

But programs won’t pay for the $1200 “conversion fee” to board qualified.

Thank you for your response. I'm asking for the worst scenario if I fail ABFAS qualification during 3rd year @@. I will try to pass 3rd year in training ABFAS. Thanks again
This is complicated … and I might not make it any easier by explaining it to you. But that is the same exam, ABFAS qualification and FYITE (3rd year ABFAS ITE). If you fail any part of the FYITE, you can sit for it after residency (up to 7 years) as the Board Qualification exam.

But in order to be board qualified in foot, you must pass both parts of the foot exam. If you only pass one, you are not qualified.
In order to be board qualified in RRA, you must pass both parts of foot AND both parts of RRA.

But in order to help you visualize this ... I put together a handy chart that explains all the possible scenarios:
Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 11.08.25 PM.png

And here are the stats on the exam's performance announced by ABFAS:

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 11.00.46 PM.png

Reactions: 5 users
Failure is not an option. Don't be a beta.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
To answer orig post:
ABFAS in-training matters a ton. It has always been highly predictive of actual results on BQ... and now it is BQ. I would take it seriously. You should have residency academics, read journals (JFAS, FAI, JBJS, etc), read books (major DPM and ortho ones in hospital library or your own), ACFAS edu stuff. In many big cities, it will be hard to get surgical privileges or full privileges if you fail ABFAS BQ. Some people have even lost jobs by failing it, if that's a requirement in the employ contract (state lic, hospital privi, etc always are... ABFAS sometimes is - or is de facto is since it's req by local hospitals). Personally, I put my in-training score reports in with my CV when applying to jobs as a resident to show them I had high scores and would pass BQ (many residents obviously do not pass, which can hurt for privileging to the disdain of employer later on, particularly when the new grad is hired to be one - or the main - surgical DPM for the office).

ABPM is a joke... everyone who can pass student boards passes ABPM. You can take the in-trainings if you want, but I would not use your own money or GME allowance for it... everyone passes their exams. You can pass soon after residency graduation since they don't require cases. I would do ABPM just to say you're 'board cert' early one (can't ABFAS cert until you have cases built up), and then you can drop it when you get ABFAS cert. It has always been the alternate board, and after the CAQ surgery joke and the pathetic BOD walkout/impeach circus that happened this year, it's a sad steaming pile.

State licenses vary. Some are very easy and others much tougher or more time consuming. Some will give full license early, others need more reqs. Research this carefully as some are only open for apps or review/granting once or a couple of times per year. In the grand scheme of things, state licenses are cheap, but losing good-paying or ideal location job opportunities can cost a ton as those are few and far between in podiatry. It does show job interviews or even visits and cold call places you're serious if you already hold the license or are in process... and that might be the edge you need as most good ones get a ton of apps. Sad but true. Don't step over dollars to save dimes.

The tougher "timeline" part is insurances and hospitals. Those generally can't be applied to or completed until you have your residency completion certificate. They also need pod diploma, state lic, board qual/cert, malpractice, and other things you have or can produce fast... but residency certificate will hold you up. You can bill under the group that hires you and do office right away, but even once the app is complete, you wait on hospital credentialing at each place. This is why most residents going into PP generally can't do surgery for a few months or more coming out of training. Even if they work for a hospital or a VA that might fake "temporary privileges" for an employee new grad, it will normally be at least a little while. You can string your elective pts along typically, but you will have to give any infection or trauma cases to a colleague in the early months.

If youre a PP pod who does minimal surgery follow Hybrocures advice. No need to go crazy if local hospitals accept ABPM for priviliges.

But if you want to be busy surgically, hospital/ortho/MSG employed get ABFAS with RRA.
Not 100% mandatory but is going to make everything much easier.
Also, job search is fairly easy for these positions once you have foot/RRA
I would say PP associates still should definitely try for ABFAS. There is no reason not to. Almost all of them will leave those jobs, and ABFAS gives many many many more options.

If you are talking PP owner (unlikely to be moving city or hospitals), then that's their choice, but they still could get squeezed if they end up without ABFAS (competition DPMs takes control of the hospital, ortho tries to limit them, residency starts in the system or covering it, etc). Practicing careers are decades long... things can always change. No reason to ever limit oneself.

Last edited:

Any additional links and general info would help as I found this is often not discussed.

Edit- I realize this is a basic question but might help someone trying to figure out the process.

1) These are exams that ABFAS prepares for the first second and third years of your residency training. More or less, they are an assessment of the knowledge you are obtaining during the years of your residency training. In the past once you’ve finished residency training, the ABFAS qualification exam was necessary to become board qualified. Now, if you are able to pass the 3rd year, FYITE exam, with an additional fee you are able to become board qualified upon completion of your residency. This allows you to obtain privileges to perform procedures in most institutions that will allow you to eventually become board certified by ABFAS.

2) ACFAS has no qualifying exams. ACFAS stands for the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. ACFAS is the educational arm of the profession. In order to become a fellow in the American College of foot and ankle surgeons, you must become certified by the American Board of foot and ankle surgery.

3) In my opinion, the only reason to become board-certified in the American board of podiatric medicine is if you require board certification shortly after residency for increase in pay (board certified bonus) or to gain access to certain insurance panels. Board qualification in ABFAS should allow access to most insurance panels and should allow obtaining privileges for most reconstructive surgical procedures.

4) The best way to prepare for ABFAS board qualification and the ITE exams is to work hard and study hard during your residency program. If your program is well rounded, you really shouldn’t have a problem passing the exam. Attending journal clubs and reading journals related to foot and ankle surgery should provide the information necessary to pass the in training exams. When I was a resident, I knew my **** and always came prepared to every case. This gave me the confidence and knowledge I needed to pass the exams and succeed.

5) No other exam is necessary to succeed in this profession. If you obtain ABFAS qualified and eventual certification you are pretty much golden. That’s not saying you can’t succeed in podiatry without it. If you plan on succeeding surgically, then ABFAS certification is paramount.

6) Licensure in Podiatry is state dependent. Each state has their own rules/laws regarding privileging in Podiatry. To gain privileges in any state you must apply for licensure in that particular state. This has nothing to do with certification. In order to gain privileges for surgical procedures, it is usually up to the institution you are applying to. Whether it be a hospital or surgery center they will have their own requirements.

If your goal is to become successful in the profession of podiatry/foot and ankle surgery, then you want to become board-certified in the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery. American Board of podiatric medicine certification will get you hospital privileges, but in most institutions it will not provide surgical privileges for higher tier procedures. These include rear foot, and most mid foot and fore foot reconstructive procedures. Having the ability and being able to perform these procedures is where employment by institutions becomes attractive. With ABFAS board qualification, one can perform these procedures and gain cases towards certification. In my opinion board certification in ABPM only makes sense if board certification is required after residency for your employment, to increase salary pay (BC bonus) or for getting on insurance panels. A well rounded 36 months residency program should provide the skills and knowledge to pass the FYITE 3rd year ABFAS exam. With an additional fee you can become board qualified and will be able to obtain the privileges to perform all the procedures necessary to obtain board certification.

Last edited:
I’ve heard this from some previous grads. But this won’t be the case any longer.

The new CPME 320 document (in effect tomorrow) requires all residents take an In-training Exam each year, and that each resident must take at least one of ABPM or ABFAS ITE in their 3 years.
Is that for the incoming resident class or for all classes?