Board scores needed to pass residency screens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mustafa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the rapid rise in mean board scores, just wondering what step I score (on average) a mid-to-good rad onc prog screens at.

Obviously there are outliers, ie publications, research can compensate for low scores, just asking a ballpark measure.

Members don't see this ad.

as you acknowledge, its a difficult question to answer. But Scores above 220 are quite common, and in some programs they aren't looking at scores below 235

Which programs do you know of that aren't looking at <235 scores (off the record)? Just so I don't waste time applying...:p

Members don't see this ad :)
it would be a grave mistake on your part to try to work the "cut-off" system- the reason is that cut-offs often aren't rigid; also the cut off from last year may not apply this year-they might find competitionis more fierce and so even higher standards apply--or they may go "lower".
Steph

are you aware of a boards computer screen at Hopkins' program? is it among those in the 230s? is this something they routinely use...or as a way to sort applications?

Originally posted by stephew
it would be a grave mistake on your part to try to work the "cut-off" system- the reason is that cut-offs often aren't rigid; also the cut off from last year may not apply this year-they might find competitionis more fierce and so even higher standards apply--or they may go "lower".
Steph

Touche, Steph, touche. I'm not sure what "working the cut-off" system entails, but I was just trying to throw a feeler out there to see what kind of bar is being set right now. But your advice puts everything into perspective, as usual...;)

Thanks for the input.

I dont know of any formal usmle cut-off here at JHH