Board re-eligibility retraining programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncovoc

Reaction score
Hello all,
As per the ABIM, for a med onc (me) whose board eligibility period has lapsed, it’s possible to become board re-eligible again by doing a 12-month Fellowship retraining program that can be arranged with the PD at an accredited program. This retraining is not as part of the normal complement, therefore no positions are being taken away from anyone.
ABIM said that actually 60 people complete such a “retraining” at different programs across the country…but they couldn’t share which programs they were. Unfortunately, I haven’t had luck with any of the programs I’ve contacted. So, I wanted to ask if by chance anyone on the forum may know of people who’ve completed such “retraining” and/or which programs/PD may be open to considering me for a similar Fellow retraining year?

I know it’s a rare scenario, and programs may have reasons not to do this, but I was honestly surprised that there was 60 docs last year, which I think is a sizable number. Regardless, it just takes one program, so I sincerely appreciate any information or guidance anyone may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
As per the ABIM, for a med onc (me) whose board eligibility period has lapsed, it’s possible to become board re-eligible again by doing a 12-month Fellowship retraining program that can be arranged with the PD at an accredited program. This retraining is not as part of the normal complement, therefore no positions are being taken away from anyone.
ABIM said that actually 60 people complete such a “retraining” at different programs across the country…but they couldn’t share which programs they were. Unfortunately, I haven’t had luck with any of the programs I’ve contacted. So, I wanted to ask if by chance anyone on the forum may know of people who’ve completed such “retraining” and/or which programs/PD may be open to considering me for a similar Fellow retraining year?

I know it’s a rare scenario, and programs may have reasons not to do this, but I was honestly surprised that there was 60 docs last year, which I think is a sizable number. Regardless, it just takes one program, so I sincerely appreciate any information or guidance anyone may have.
Your best option may be to move to the states where it’s illegal to require BC for credentialing (at least Oklahoma and Massachusetts, and possibly more).

Hello all,

The "easiest" option is the program you trained in. Call your old PD and tell them what's up. The fact that you haven't managed to get BC in the last 7 years may influence their opinion, but it remains your best option.

After that, it's cold calling. Start locally and spread out geographically as needed. I suspect you could also do a non-ABIM fellowship like BMT, Phase 1 or similar and get the same "retraining" credit.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your best option may be to move to the states where it’s illegal to require BC for credentialing (at least Oklahoma and Massachusetts, and possibly more).
That’s interesting, I didn’t realize there is even such a law in some states. I’m not opposed to moving, so those states are something I will investigate further.
Thank you for your response.

The "easiest" option is the program you trained in. Call your old PD and tell them what's up. The fact that you haven't managed to get BC in the last 7 years may influence their opinion, but it remains your best option.

After that, it's cold calling. Start locally and spread out geographically as needed. I suspect you could also do a non-ABIM fellowship like BMT, Phase 1 or similar and get the same "retraining" credit.
Thank you, gutonc. Following on your suggestion I sent an initial message to my program’s PD, who is new compared to when I initially trained. But I did at least get a response and will be setting up a meeting in person, so thanks for your advice.
I also appreciate your mention of the non-ABIM programs, but the ABIM needs something more similar to a med onc Fellow’s competencies, although the ABIM isn’t restrictive about the specific blocks required.

I am still intrigued by those 60 docs around the country who found such willing programs, and whether there’s a characteristic (eg geographic region) that made those programs more amenable. My old program is a very academic one, so I don’t know if that will work for or against me when I meet with PD. Note that I did have a consistent med onc career without any negative issues. It was just that exam and family circumstances that were not in my favor.
Nevertheless, thank you again for your caring response and guidance. I’m glad I found this forum.

Thank you, gutonc. Following on your suggestion I sent an initial message to my program’s PD, who is new compared to when I initially trained. But I did at least get a response and will be setting up a meeting in person, so thanks for your advice.
I also appreciate your mention of the non-ABIM programs, but the ABIM needs something more similar to a med onc Fellow’s competencies, although the ABIM isn’t restrictive about the specific blocks required.

I am still intrigued by those 60 docs around the country who found such willing programs, and whether there’s a characteristic (eg geographic region) that made those programs more amenable. My old program is a very academic one, so I don’t know if that will work for or against me when I meet with PD. Note that I did have a consistent med onc career without any negative issues. It was just that exam and family circumstances that were not in my favor.
Nevertheless, thank you again for your caring response and guidance. I’m glad I found this forum.
Is this 60 docs across all of internal medicine? Or just 60 in oncology?

I’m assuming you’re boarded in IM? Other alternative is just to go work as a hospitalist or outpatient PCP.

Did you take the boards several times and fail?

Is this 60 docs across all of internal medicine? Or just 60 in oncology?

I’m assuming you’re boarded in IM? Other alternative is just to go work as a hospitalist or outpatient PCP.

Did you take the boards several times and fail?

I'm sure it's across IM/Subspecialties, not just hem/onc.

Either that or it’s like 60 docs total in the history of the specialty have done it

Actually this is all oncology specific i.e. 60 docs across the nation who had lost their board eligibility specifically in med onc, and were able to become board re-eligible by doing the 12 month rotations.
You’re correct, I have the IM boards and have been doing IM work. But with each onc case I am “forced” to refer, the pull back to oncology is facing me daily. Still, your point is well taken and appreciated since there are obvious opportunity costs.

Either that or it’s like 60 docs total in the history of the specialty have done it
It was 60 docs just last year. So the previous years had other docs. Note that ABIM hasn’t instituted this 12 months retraining for re-eligibility for too long. I can’t recall when they said it started, but since about 5-6 years ago.
I never would have guessed there’s 60 oncologists seeking to get their eligibility back. I honestly thought I was the only/first in the history to have such a predicament. But it’s true, 60 in just one year.

Hello all,

This will sound harsh but if you won't take or can't pass boards in the 7 year eligibility time period after finishing fellowship, then you need to look in the mirror and start with yourself. You're smart enough to go to med school -> residency -> fellowship. You've proved that you can pass a ABIM board (internal medicine) so you have no excuses as to why you can't pass heme/onc boards.

Buckle down and give the tests the respect and time they deserve. You will pass. Good luck.

This will sound harsh but if you won't take or can't pass boards in the 7 year eligibility time period after finishing fellowship, then you need to look in the mirror and start with yourself. You're smart enough to go to med school -> residency -> fellowship. You've proved that you can pass a ABIM board (internal medicine) so you have no excuses as to why you can't pass heme/onc boards.

Buckle down and give the tests the respect and time they deserve. You will pass. Good luck.
That is generally fair, but there are personal circumstances that can/did arise. As such, let’s assume I know how to work hard, but people with families, etc. can have difficulties arise. Regardless, to get that opportunity again I have to become re-eligible. Then, passing the test will be another matter.