Biking and Running on the islands

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miler

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am also waiting, just like many of you out there, to hear whether or not I have been accepted to SGU and AUC. I would like to hear from people who have been to both places about a couple of things. I am a competitive cyclist, runner, and triathlete, and although I know my time spent doing these activities will be limited once I get to (hopefully!) either Grenada or St. Maarten, I was wondering what is available as far as roads to ride and run on, and trail systems as well. Are the roads okay, or should I just bring my mountain bike? Is it safe to ride around the island? Thanks and appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know a reply - but I have just been interested in competing in triathlons. How is the best way to start training?

The best way to start is to do so cautiously. Many people try to do way to much, way to soon, and at an intensity level that is way to high. This greatly increases their chance of injury/burnout, and also won't develop their aerobic system to nearly its capacity, and if you start out at too high of an intensity you won't be burning off as much fat, either.

For swimming, find someone who has a lot of experience with it, for instance the swim coach at your local college. Set up a meeting with them and have them watch or even videotape you in the pool. Then, let the corrections of your swim stroke begin. Swimming is 90% form, and 10% fitness, you don't want to learn to swim the wrong way.

For cycling, go to a reputable bike shop and make sure you talk with someone who has racing and bike sizing experience. You need to make sure the bike you get fits you correctly, otherwise your power output and efficiency will be poor, and your chance for injury goes up. Find out when local group rides are. Not only are these great fitness builders, but you can learn a lot from them as well. Don't let the "more experienced" riders intimidate you. Just sit at the back and learn from what they do. Cyclists tend to have egos, so let them do most of the pace setting for the first couple rides you do with them, and they should be happy to help you with pointers.

For running, make sure you get quality running shoes that are correct for your build, then start slowly.
Don't increase your mileage by more than 10% a week, otherwise your risk for injury once again goes up. Try and do some of your running on soft surfaces, such as trails or a rubberized track. Also, once or so a week do 4-6 by 100 meter pick-ups, called "Strides" These are not all-out, but at about 90% of max speed, and make sure you focus on using controlled, smooth form. Do one longer run a week, making it about 20-25% of your weekly milage.

To begin racing, check out www.cooltri.com There is a link on the left that says "Calendar" This will take you to a list of races for every state, and has a lot of good info on it. There are quite a few shorter sprint of beginner tri's out there.
Also, try www.trinewbies.com, www.triathlete.com, and www.insidetriathlon.com. All have lots of good training, equipment and race info.
And I'm sure you've heard it before, but get a physical before starting any training program.
This is a very basic list of how to get started, but I hope it helps. Have fun and be safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey,

i go to sgu, i ran for a couple of years at the university of washington and needless to say have toned it down quite a bit . . . i hate to say what people can and cannot do, but if you train at all like one of my buddies who is a triathlete, you most likely will not have the time to train competively down here. it just is not a practical thing with first term classes, perhaps during second term and third, but fourth is quite demanding as well.

off that note, i run a whole three times a week, i just don't feel the need to run everyday anymore, but i imagine that there is time for that, i just run five miles a pop. if you were really on top of it, i imagine that you could at least maintain alright, but school can really get at you.

i don't know were you are from, but what i really hate about running down here is the heat, i can only hack it around 6am, which doesn't happen, or later on at night like 5pm, i don't like to run when it is dark out, the driving down here is really quite scary. i also tend to get really pleasant comments like "run white boy" and what not, so daytime running is preferred.

there is a dorm right on the beach though, so swimming would be really easy. the biking thing, well, there are not very many roads, it would be a chore to bike even 30 or 40 miles, but if you were okay with doing laps . . . as i mentioned earlier the driving is sketchy as well, so i would be extra careful. i do see some locals out training though, so it seems like it would be do-able.

best of luck

Do you guys know if there are any trails or how dangerous it is to go mountain biking around? I was also planning on bringing my bike to use for travel around the island and what not and was wondering if you guys thought it was a good idea or not.

Thanks for any prosts

there are a few folks with bikes down here. they have found some trails to ride on as well. i would just be really careful when riding your bike around, people have been hit by the local busses. also, you will most likely get charged 5% costumes for bringing your bike into the country as well as the additional cost of getting it here. best of luck.