Big names in Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know some of the Big name ortho docs. One that if you did an away rotation with and impressed it would mean something. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know some of the Big name ortho docs. One that if you did an away rotation with and impressed it would mean something. thanks

My advice is to rotate at programs you are serious about going to. Picking a program with the thoughts of impressing some big name is a bad idea. Chances are you won't impress them and you will probably only work with them for a few days, certainly not enough time to make a meaningful impact. Remember, big names travel a lot and are very busy. Honestly you'll be lucky if he even remembers your name at the end of the rotation or get anything more then a generic letter that he gives to all the students with the same plan you have.

The best thing to do is pick 2 or 3 programs you are seriously interested in, be a pleasant hard worker, and find someone there you really connected with to write you a letter. If you are dead set on getting a big name, most programs have a least a few very well connected people and maybe you can seek them out when you get there.

Yeah, DHT is on target. I was a resident at Duke in another specialty, and, when I did off-service on Ortho, there was a kid there from another school doing his away, and he got to work with Carl Basamania, Jim Urbaniak, and Scott Levin, among others (and I'm dating myself by giving you those names). He then matched at Duke.