Better Job or Higher Paying Job? An existential question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HOT TAKE ALERT:

You take away OB and we'd love all of our jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
HOT TAKE ALERT:

You take away OB and we'd love all of our jobs.

OB can be both very satisfying and very frustrating. Every once in a while you get that one epidural that is not quite perfect and that patient makes you pay for the imperfection. It’s something I tolerate pretty well from 7am-5pm. After hours OB is a different story. For some reason holding a barf bag in a c-section at 3am just doesn’t really make it to my ideal job description.

Reactions: 1 user
Combination of

-Difficult, sometimes entitled, patients with "birth plans"
-Dealing with Midwives and Doulas
-High liability with sometimes uncompensated risk
- +/- poor payor mix
-Significant after hours involvement with frequent emergencies
-Dealing with OBs as "Surgeons" that don't generally work well in a team setting
-Difficult nursing staff that feel they know more than you

I liked doing OB in residency much more than doing it in private practice

I absolutely, positively hate OB. To me its the combination of after hours epidurals especially in those patients who have been there all day and want to be all "natural" when you offer an epidural before 10pm but then realize that labor pains suck between the hours of 11-4am and now want a f ucking epidural while you were dreaming about yatching in the Mediterrenian. F uck that noise. The other is the fact that they are awake and you gotta Ooh, and Ahh at their damn babies and reassure them every five minutes that everyone is going well when they are in CSection! I used to sometimes push Versed on the super panicky ones to shut them up as soon as the baby was out.

I don't need to be in OB. Maybe I would be more empathetic were I a mom. You couldn't pay me a mil to do OB and that's the real truth.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The ideal job for me: one where I get to punch CRNAs in the face all day long.

Reactions: 4 users
There is a point of diminishing returns. At a certain point, that extra 10-20% income is not going to make that big of a difference in your quality of life, but an extra 10-20% of your TIME, will.

I’ve started letting my partners have my weekend call. Yes, it costs me $50-$60k a year, but it is easily HALF of my headaches, and the Govt would have taken 1/3rd of it, anyway.

Weekends—No support staff at the hospital to help expedite cases. A hospital who thinks I ought to provide a $200k a year CRNA to help expedite case load, but refuses to spend a couple hundred $$ to get a cleaning lady and a transporter to help cut turnover times in half.

Surgeons who think the weekend is for the case they have been sitting on for 3-4 days, while they did their good paying cases at ASC’s during the week. Cases that could wait but have to be done NOW because they have social plans or “a full day on Monday”.

I’ll do real emergencies all day long, but I get sick of the surgeon drama from folks who cannot or will not manage their time. Guys who act like 10 year olds when I tell them there are cases in front of them, and want to argue that they should get to go first, but refuse to follow policy and discuss it with their surgical colleagues.

In my career, it has not been the patients that have been the challenge. It has been a-hole surgeons, slow or incompetent surgeons, administrators looking to save a dime or polish up their resume for a better job, or the AMC’s /groups that think you ought to work 70 hours a week so they can make a profit or so the other workaholic partners can afford their 2nd/3rd wife....

I am young and probably have 1/15th your experience , maybe less but I’m already starting to see what you just posted is so so so true

Can I make the assumption the just about everyone who has responded is in private practice?