Best ways to get referrals from y'all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobstar

Reaction score
I'm a psychiatrist and potentially starting a private practice from 0. Would take major insurances, some Medicaid, no Medicare. Open to seeing pretty much anything other than ASPD/long criminal histories, but would like to keep substance use disorders to a minimum. Happy to see eating disorders, functional problems, ADHD, autism evals, in addition to the basic depression and anxiety.

Do I just send letters to your offices? Should I stop by and talk to your receptionist and give out flyers/business cards? Just call and let the front desk staff know? What if you're in a big box shop rather than a smaller private clinic?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a psychiatrist and potentially starting a private practice from 0. Would take major insurances, some Medicaid, no Medicare. Open to seeing pretty much anything other than ASPD/long criminal histories, but would like to keep substance use disorders to a minimum. Happy to see eating disorders, functional problems, ADHD, autism evals, in addition to the basic depression and anxiety.

Do I just send letters to your offices? Should I stop by and talk to your receptionist and give out flyers/business cards? Just call and let the front desk staff know? What if you're in a big box shop rather than a smaller private clinic?

Definitely stop by and try to introduce yourself in person to the actual clinicians. I’m much more likely to refer to you if I can personally vouch for you as an overall nice person.

Do you have a residency program nearby? Calling the PD and offering to do a resident lecture will definitely generate some referrals.

If a psychiatrist said they could see my patients within 3 months and dropped off their card I could get them a dozen referrals by the end of the day. Substance use I can do all day long, but I can't even get my bipolar and refractory depression patients into psych.

Bonus points if I have some way to see your charts after the visit

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So basically just call and try to schedule a time to swing by? I imagine that's over the noon hour then?

I'll be on a tiny EMR that doesn't connect to EPIC so that is a concern. Particularly with bipolar meds and their monitoring and side effects. And really also eating disorders and lab work. I haven't found a good way around it. Seems most small psych private practices are set up for healthily people with minimal medical comorbidities unfortunately.

Is there a place in the country where it’s not a 3 month wait just to see a psych NP, fresh out of their rigorous online training?
Are there actually places in the country where outpatient psychiatrists exist?
You call any primary care clinic and tell them you want to stop by. Wait in the hall, shake a hand between patients, flash your MD/DO credentials, and notice the eyes of every hand you shake brighten at the thought of offloading 1/10 of their panel on you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Heck. If I had a psychiatrist I knew who needed patients, I could make you rich in 6 months. You probably would only need to visit 2-3 FP's in your area to have a good panel started. Be sure you let your closest urgent care folks know that you need patients. They have the largest volume.

Reactions: 2 users
Let us know you exist so I can add to my list of options to get people any care they can.

Reactions: 1 users

probably take hospital call and see a bunch of inpatient referrals, clinic follow ups. i don't think you will have shortage of clients

Also need to know which insurance plans you are contracted with so we can refer our patients appropriately.

Reactions: 1 user
Stop by our clinic once and you’d have tons of referrals, meet my referral person and give her a piece of paper with insurance you take and how to refer.