Best TY in the Country: P/SL at Denver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give a shout out to possibly the best TY program in the country: Presbyterian St. Luke’s (P/SL) Medical Center in Denver.

The schedule is very cush:

4 months of IM - alternates between long and short call with hours of 6-5 (long) and usually 6-1 (short), 3 weeks is day work and 1 week is night float. Incorporating night float into each month of IM wards eliminates the need for a separate month of night float. Also during night float you’ll typically get 2-3 admissions so you can get 5-6 hours of sleep and essentially then have the day off. The attendings are very supportive and residents are treated really well.

1 month of Heme Onc – not too bad, reportedly no weekends, not a hard rotation at all like you would imagine, the oncology unit is very strong

1 month of ER – I believe this is 14 shifts which is pretty light compared to other intern year programs. Denver Health is considered one of the best ER programs in the country.

1 month of ambulatory – at Uptown Primary Care, fairly good hours

The other months are extremely cush – a surgery selective month which is very, very cush, 3 electives (can do 2 research months), a business in medicine elective, and an elective in your future specialty.

No ICU month(s)!

The hospital is very new, parking is free, and housing nearby is affordable. Not to mention that Denver is a great place to live. You can spend a lot of your free time outdoors whereas for other cush TY programs you have to live in Spartanburg or Detroit. Residents are also very friendly and matched at incredible places (RadOnc MD Anderson, Derm Michigan, etc).

I’m an MS4 hoping to match there! It’s so amazing there but so competitive as well!

Members don't see this ad.

So, you interviewed there, and drank the Kool-Aid, but have no actual experience in the program?

Thanks.

You’re welcome! I’m always happy to contribute since there’s very little information out there on TYs. Hope it helps others, and I’m glad my post is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
You’re welcome! I’m always happy to contribute since there’s very little information out there on TYs. Hope it helps others, and I’m glad my post is appreciated!
I think it was sarcasm.

I think it was sarcasm.

I know but I prefer to respond with sincerity. I’m honestly here to help others by spreading info rather than withholding info because I’m “just” an MS4.

I know but I prefer to respond with sincerity. I’m honestly here to help others by spreading info rather than withholding info because I’m “just” an MS4.
But your "info" is basically bulls***.

Feel free to spread it. But at least be honest about what it is.

But your "info" is basically bulls***.

Feel free to spread it. But at least be honest about what it is.

I interviewed there and gave the info that they reported. I’d say the probability of them lying is much less than the probability that they were giving the honest truth, so I don’t think that qualifies as bull****.

If anything, your first post emphasizes that we should trust people who are actually at the program, and that’s exactly what I’m doing by trusting what the current residents told me during the interview.

I hope to match there and if I do I will continue to sell the program if it is what I’ve heard.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed there and gave the info that they reported. I’d say the probability of them lying is much less than the probability that they were giving the honest truth, so I don’t think that qualifies as bull****.

If anything, your first post emphasizes that we should trust people who are actually at the program, and that’s exactly what I’m doing by trusting what the current residents told me during the interview.

I hope to match there and if I do I will continue to sell the program if it is what I’ve heard.
key word here is "sell"

The hospital is very new, parking is free, and housing nearby is affordable. Not to mention that Denver is a great place to live. You can spend a lot of your free time outdoors whereas for other cush TY programs you have to live in Spartanburg or Detroit. Residents are also very friendly and matched at incredible places (RadOnc MD Anderson, Derm Michigan, etc).

The hospital is not that new. There are some nice, remodeled parts of it, but it's showing its age. Also, housing is not super affordable in Denver. Source: CU med student who spent a month on medicine at PSL.