best surg txt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patchie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

just wondering... what are some good surgery txtbooks?

we've got a list of a few of them, but i'm just wondering what other people think.

i'm def not planning on buying all the ones on the list!!

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks kimberli!

Here are 3 of the texts on our recommended list (have you heard of these, and are they any good?)

Tjandra JJ, Clunie GJA, Thomas RJS (Eds.) Textbook of Surgery. 2nd edition. Blackwell Science Asia 2001.

Williamson RCN, Waxman BP, Scott PR (Eds.) (1998) An Aid to Clinical Surgery. 5th edition. Churchill Livingstone.

Garden et al (2002) Forrest Principles and Practice of Surgery, 4th edition. Churchill Livingstone.

From what i've read about lawrences's gen surg... it seems like a good book - i'll have to check it out.

thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're talking about the list of recommended texts put out by the medical schools they do not expect you tog et anywhere near that many. The reason the list is so long is that the government refunds the GST component of the book price if the book is on the recommended list, no one expects you to get all of them, or even half of them, you can only use so much...

certainly,

i had no intentions of buying more than one, infact i was considering not buying any at all, i was just seeing if anybody had heard of them - if they're inferior our outdated or rated poorly, i woudln't want to learn from them!

thanks for the info about the book lists - good idea really, it's already expensive enough being a student without paying a ridiculous amount for texts!