Best essay structure for Writing section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timbo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found out that the sample essays from the Pearson practice PCATs are available online for free here: http://www.aacp.org/resources/acade...lines/Documents/PCATTechnicalReport--2007.pdf
From reading the last sample, which got 5.0/5.0, i see the essay follows the following paragraph structure:
1. intro (explains problem and introduces solution #1)
2. solution #1 (1 support example),
3. solution #2 (2 support examples),
4. conclusion (simply reiterates thesis and the two solutions, doesn't say anything new)

On the other hand Kaplan suggest a 3 paragraph structure: 1. explain problem + solution, 2. counterexample, 3. resolution

Do you guys think it would be wrong to write a Kaplan type essay? Also anyone else think the Pearson sample 5/5 essay seems weak in that the writer only provided 1 example to support his 1st solution and the conclusion provides no new insight or information?

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan's essay is very strong, but personally I am going to follow what Pearson gives. Considering Pearson is the company that gives the PCAT test, I am going to follow their guidelines, and not so much of Kaplan's.