Best EKG books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jackflash

Do you guys know what are the best books to learn how to read EKG's well? I already have Dubin. Anything else that you guys would recommend.

-- A future Ophthalmologist who wants to know a little bit about the heart.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a little yellow book called Changs (or Chungs) I can't remember which. It is really concise and a little more academic than Dubin's. Also, Chung isn't in jail for child molestation, unlike Dale.

Dubin's Rapid Interpretation of EKG.

Members don't see this ad :)
Borrow Dubin from someone and read the first several chapters for a solid introduction. After that, Dubin in just written at too low a level for a thinking medical student.

Most of my learning of EKGs was through practice -- ie, whenever you have a patient with an EKG on the chart, read it yourself, and THEN look at the official read.

Also, try a cards rotation.

for medical students, Dubin's is good.

for medicine residents, Marriott's Practical Electrocardiography by Wagner and Marriott is recommended.

concur. Marriott's Practical Electrocardiography by Wagner and Marriott

I think there is an EKG reading textbook on MDConsult.com as well, I know its not Dubin though.

Some people don't like Dubin and I just don't understand why. I think its a great book to start with....any IM resident should have it mastered and be reading a more advanced text, but for a med student or people in other fields, whats up?

Originally posted by lurkerboy
I think there is an EKG reading textbook on MDConsult.com as well, I know its not Dubin though.

Some people don't like Dubin and I just don't understand why. I think its a great book to start with....any IM resident should have it mastered and be reading a more advanced text, but for a med student or people in other fields, whats up?

some of the rules it mentioned are not correct or grossly incomplete. the rules regarding t-wave inversions, st-segment elevation, etc. etc. are not as simple as described in that book because you also need to learn what leads those changes occur in and the magnitude. same as regarding rules on LV hypertrophy, etc.

"The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need" by Thaler, available from LW&W at www.lww.com is a great easy read. You can easily polish it off in an afternoon. It is very straightforward, easy to read, has great explanations, and is fairly cheap.