Bernoulli and Blood pressure... compatible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
according to EK, bp is highest in arteries (small area) and lowest in capillaries (largest area when all of them are combined)

It's implying that pressure and velocity are directly related, and inversely related to area

However, benoulli's principle states that velocity and pressure are inversely proportional in a closed system

I'm confused. The reason I'm asking is that I've seen different test prep companies do things differently

I've seen some test prep companies use Bernoulli's law in circulatory system "passages"
EK, on the other hand, states that opposite and says that they are incompatible...

Members don't see this ad.

according to EK, bp is highest in arteries (small area) and lowest in capillaries (largest area when all of them are combined)

It's implying that pressure and velocity are directly related, and inversely related to area

However, benoulli's principle states that velocity and pressure are inversely proportional in a closed system

I'm confused. The reason I'm asking is that I've seen different test prep companies do things differently

I've seen some test prep companies use Bernoulli's law in circulatory system "passages"
EK, on the other hand, states that opposite and says that they are incompatible...

From Costanzo physiology:

velocity=Flow/Area

Flow= change in pressure/ Resistance

Thus velocity= change in pressure/ (Area * resitance)

So, from my understanding as an engineer (maybe diff. than md's?):

Bernoulli's law in it's absolute sense is really a variation of Conservation of Energy. If you multiply its components by Volume, you will get all energy units:

P + rho*g*h + (1/2)*rho*velocity^2 = Constant becomes

PV + mass*g*h + (1/2) * mass * velocity^2 = Constant or

"Pressure" Energy + Potential Energy + Kinetic Energy (bulk flow) = Constant

To make this fit with what you asked about EK......the "Pressure" Energy is analogous to the Bee stinging analogy in EK Physics on page 85. Personally, I only loosely endorse this analogy....but whatever works for you.

In any case, the Bern. equation is therefore simply a conservation of this energy in fluid flow; given the following caveats:

1. fluid flow is inviscid

2. is laminar / irrotational

3. is incompressible.

The circulatory system is clearly not inviscid. Clearly there is a drag force / frictional force/ non-conservative force as the blood flows from the aorta, through the circulatory system and back to the major veins.

Berns. Equation does not apply directly in this case because there cannot be a conservation of energy! Energy is being "leaked"

P + 1/2*rho*g + 1/2*rho*v^2 DOES NOT = Constant (the value is continually diminshing)

In engineering terms this is called the pressure drop through the system, and an alternate equation such as Darcy-Weisbach equation can be used to calculate the pressure drop, though I would never imagine this would ever be on the MCAT.

The only other question then becomes, why does a dialation of an artery then lower the local blood pressure. I submit this is because there is magnitude factor differrence between the volume flow and the surface area as dialation occurs....namely a factor of r (r^3 vs. r^2).

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll stick with EK

In Biology, since it's not a completely perfect system, I won't use Bernouilli's Law... especially if its on the BS section

DO NOT TRY TO RELATE BERNOULLI'S TO BLOOD PRESSURE IN THE VESSELS, for blood in the vessels, the pressure is mainly provided by the heart thus creating a deviation from bernoulli's ideal flow law, for vessels the area and pressure are directly proportional. Now in terms of vasodilation and vasoconstriction remember for example that the parasympathetic system slows the heart rate and increases digestive and excretory activity. Hence, in order for the stomach to digest food the stomach's PH needs to be lowered to around 2 so pepsin can be most efficient, well this decreae in stomach PH increases the blood PH and if you remember your hemoglobin saturation curve of the cardiovascular system, raising the blood PH shifts the curve to the left which means that less oxygen will be delivered to the your muscle tissues this is mainly due to the fact that as result of your body being in a digestive state, the blood vessels around the skeletal system will constrict, lower the heart rate which controls the blood pressure in the skeletal blood vessels thus lower the blood pressure but the blood vessels around the digestive systems will dilate thus increasing the blood flood flow for the digestive system to increase the activity. Now there are a lot more details and a lot of diffrent ways of relating different physiological effect to each other but this is just one example, I could have used the endocrine system instead of the digestive to illustrate the same point. This is how I would suggest enhancing your understanding of physiology, by relating as many systems as possible to an individual activity.