Benign Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody reatreating arthritis a year later? 2 years later? Yearly?
Of course! This is considered standard of care, if clinical benefit was achieved with the prior course of radiotherapy.

I am not aware of an upper limit. I have treated some with 3-4 courses over years.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Apologies if already posted elsewhere- looked and couldn't find it. Lots of potential here.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
If 5gy is not very harmful for the heart, would be a real problem for protons

“The Mevion S100GRAND is the newest technology that finally, FINALLY allows for the personalized cancer care Americans deserve. I can treat your breast cancer with high dose and heal your cardiomyopathy with low dose while sparing toxic, unnecessary dose to nearby esophagus that would otherwise occur with x-rays”

Haha I get it now, this is so much easier than running a clinical trial. Took me like 5 minutes on my handheld device!

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone do the German OA regimen while a patient is getting chemo? He’s getting q2 week 5FU, leucovorin, and antibody

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone do the German OA regimen while a patient is getting chemo? He’s getting q2 week 5FU, leucovorin, and antibody
I wouldn't. Nothing will happen, but anything that does will be blamed on you.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha! I have a few percent getting pain flares and such. Something weird happens and then all around town “that quack Parikh is doing weird ****”
Pain flare through LDRT is actually a good sign!

You can tell your patients about that. Anecdotally, those with pain flare are the ones that benefit the most, long term.
It‘s a bit like the skin rash from cetuximab for H&N cancer.

Reactions: 2 users
Pain flare through LDRT is actually a good sign!

You can tell your patients about that. Anecdotally, those with pain flare are the ones that benefit the most, long term.
It‘s a bit like the skin rash from cetuximab for H&N cancer.
I absolutely agree. I tell my patients this as well.

Obviously the plural of "anecdote" is not "data", but at this point, the volume of this observation in my practice is such that I'm trying to figure out a timeline/plan to do some sort of prospective observation trial on it.

I would also expand this to seeing any change at all is a "good" sign. Meaning it doesn't just have to be a pain flare, it could be transient improvement, or alteration in the perception of pain (sharp vs dull etc) - all of that increases my optimism for a particular case.

Reactions: 4 users
I absolutely agree. I tell my patients this as well.

Obviously the plural of "anecdote" is not "data", but at this point, the volume of this observation in my practice is such that I'm trying to figure out a timeline/plan to do some sort of prospective observation trial on it.

I would also expand this to seeing any change at all is a "good" sign. Meaning it doesn't just have to be a pain flare, it could be transient improvement, or alteration in the perception of pain (sharp vs dull etc) - all of that increases my optimism for a particular case.
Is this during the treatment course or after?

Anybody done it for AI-induced joint pain and notice a difference vs standard OA?

Anybody done it for AI-induced joint pain and notice a difference vs standard OA?

Im really hoping to get a trial off the ground for this, or if there is one in planning somewhere maybe join.

Seems like a no brainer, but I do think a phase II trial would be the way to go given that it is a new indication in theory.

I've done it for AI-induced joint pain.

The tough part about a trial for AI-induced vs OA would be time. The earlier we get to OA to treat it the better, but we can almost never get to it as early as we can AI-induced joint pain. Hard to control for that variable.

The tough part about a trial for AI-induced vs OA would be time. The earlier we get to OA to treat it the better, but we can almost never get to it as early as we can AI-induced joint pain. Hard to control for that variable.
I think would be worthwhile evaluating essentially independently of OA. Treat LDRT for AI joint pains like we used to prophylactically radiate mens breast tissue who were going on Bicalutamide.

Yea RT versus sham for AI induced only, separate from OA. The literature I’ve read argues its similar mechanism but it’s a different indication/population for sure.

It would be cool to look at hormone therapy adherence as one of the end points.

Anecdotally I’ve seen a lot of people stop it due to joint pain.

Had a Medicare advantage payer ask me for "Medicare guidelines" showing radiation is approved for OA/plantar fasciitis before they would approve it. Anyone run into this and use anything from Medicare to get these treatments approved?

Had a Medicare advantage payer ask me for "Medicare guidelines" showing radiation is approved for OA/plantar fasciitis before they would approve it. Anyone run into this and use anything from Medicare to get these treatments approved?
There are no NCDs for any treatment any radiation oncologist in America does for any condition. So they have come up with the stupidest, or smartest, reason ever to deny.

Reactions: 3 users
WOW.

That's quite the tactic they're trying out.

Was it the MA payer who asked you, or the benefits manager contracted by the payer?

Regardless, per the Medicare guidelines:

1701957936120.png

Part B covers medically necessary radiation treatments in an outpatient clinic.

At this point in time, I don't believe there is an NCD that specifically says "LDRT for OA is covered". Which would be insane...because Medicare guidelines are not like NCCN guidelines. There are many treatments we give daily that aren't explicitly defined in the guidelines.

Of course, outpatient radiation therapy is obviously covered. So if we (the physicians) think a service is "medically necessary", Medicare should cover it.

Let's look at what they definitely WON'T cover:

1701960997594.png

Here is what I stick to for "medically necessary" arguments:

1) I don't diagnose them with OA/PF myself, they come with an existing diagnosis.
2) This basically always means they've tried and failed at least one, usually multiple other types of treatments.
3) Symptomatic OA/PF that has failed prior lines of therapy = LDRT is medically necessary
4) For things like OA, it's significantly cheaper to do LDRT than a joint replacement (couple thousand dollars with no inpatient stay vs $100,000 and inpatient time, etc)
5) There is a mountain of evidence in the literature to cite

To ask you for proof of Medicare coverage is insane. I would "reverse Uno" them and explain your medical necessity argument...and demand they show you where it's NOT covered in Medicare guidelines.

WOW.

That's quite the tactic they're trying out.

Was it the MA payer who asked you, or the benefits manager contracted by the payer?

Regardless, per the Medicare guidelines:

View attachment 379552

Part B covers medically necessary radiation treatments in an outpatient clinic.

At this point in time, I don't believe there is an NCD that specifically says "LDRT for OA is covered". Which would be insane...because Medicare guidelines are not like NCCN guidelines. There are many treatments we give daily that aren't explicitly defined in the guidelines.

Of course, outpatient radiation therapy is obviously covered. So if we (the physicians) think a service is "medically necessary", Medicare should cover it.

Let's look at what they definitely WON'T cover:

View attachment 379555

Here is what I stick to for "medically necessary" arguments:

1) I don't diagnose them with OA/PF myself, they come with an existing diagnosis.
2) This basically always means they've tried and failed at least one, usually multiple other types of treatments.
3) Symptomatic OA/PF that has failed prior lines of therapy = LDRT is medically necessary
4) For things like OA, it's significantly cheaper to do LDRT than a joint replacement (couple thousand dollars with no inpatient stay vs $100,000 and inpatient time, etc)
5) There is a mountain of evidence in the literature to cite

To ask you for proof of Medicare coverage is insane. I would "reverse Uno" them and explain your medical necessity argument...and demand they show you where it's NOT covered in Medicare guidelines.
And I forgot to add:

No one should stop at the first appeal, if they deny you. Appeal again. There are 5 levels of Medicare (and MA) appeals - use them.

This is an active "battleground", so to speak. This isn't some treatment some rando sketchy RadOnc cooked up in a run-down shack near Orlando.

In other parts of the world, this has been continuously done for a century. Literally, a century. Tens of thousands of people get LDRT for OA/PF per year. We actually don't know, and I don't want to be hyperbolic, but if we're talking global, it's probably over a hundred thousand people per year now.

Preserving the "linac babysitting laws" won't help the specialty endure. Strongly establishing a method and indication that significantly expands our scope, however, will.

And oh yeah. It gives patients in pain another option, and significantly reduces the economic burden on society (comparing LDRT to joint replacement, long term medications, repeat steroid injections, etc).

But: they're going to fight it. "They" would be, of course, the payers. They're not in the business of medicine, they're in the business of making money. And paying for services means they can't make $50 billion dollars per quarter so...you know, they don't like it.

I have 13 arthritis consults on my schedule over the next month.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
To whom did you market?
I did no marketing. Started using it with my cancer patients. Those patients spread the word to their other docs, family members, friends.

Now I have consults from PCP's, Orthopods, Pain clinics, self referrals. I had one patient come from over 4 hrs away.

I did no marketing. Started using it with my cancer patients. Those patients spread the word to their other docs, family members, friends.

Now I have consults from PCP's, Orthopods, Pain clinics, self referrals. I had one patient come from over 4 hrs away.
How late is your center running/how far out are new starts? I gotta say, if OA pushed me into extended hours I’d regret opening the spigot

How late is your center running/how far out are new starts? I gotta say, if OA pushed me into extended hours I’d regret opening the spigot
No late hours. Starts within 5-10 days unless there are insurance approval delays.

whoa your practice must be booming if you are worried about extended hours with OA!