Being a Doctor is unfair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scoopdaboop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify. You get in the profession to help people, and in order to do so you sacrifice at least 7 years of your life into medicine. After that, you're dealing with the public image of "money hungry doctors looking to get every dollar they can get", people who will blame the healthcare crisis on doctor's salaries (when in reality, the doctor salaries are ~ 18 percent, and half of that is for malpractice etc.). You deal with NP's and PA advocacy groups pushing for independence when they are half as trained as you utilizing the things I just mentioned above just so they can get more applicants and profit off of their NP's and PA schools. You have to deal with stress of trying to be "perfect", and if you aren't "perfect" the public and patients will come after you much more fiercely than any other profession. You're automatically thrust into positions of leadership in the community and are held to a higher standard than others. It's ridiculous. There was once a time when practicing medicine was the most respectful thing you could do, but even now, with NP schools taking in anyone off the street, the practice of medicine itself is being devalued. With all that being said, medicine is still easily the best profession in america in terms of the impact you make in peoples lives and its impossible to get that sense of accomplishment from any other profession.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Let me clarify. You get in the profession to help people, and in order to do so you sacrifice at least 7 years of your life into medicine. After that, you're dealing with the public image of "money hungry doctors looking to get every dollar they can get", people who will blame the healthcare crisis on doctor's salaries (when in reality, the doctor salaries are ~ 18 percent, and half of that is for malpractice etc.). You deal with NP's and PA advocacy groups pushing for independence when they are half as trained as you utilizing the things I just mentioned above just so they can get more applicants and profit off of their NP's and PA schools. You have to deal with stress of trying to be "perfect", and if you aren't "perfect" the public and patients will come after you much more fiercely than any other profession. You're automatically thrust into positions of leadership in the community and are held to a higher standard than others. It's ridiculous. There was once a time when practicing medicine was the most respectful thing you could do, but even now, with NP schools taking in anyone off the street, the practice of medicine itself is being devalued. With all that being said, medicine is still easily the best profession in america in terms of the impact you make in peoples lives and its impossible to get that sense of accomplishment from any other profession.

Then quit or continue to condemn your peers.

Reactions: 11 users
@scoopdaboop There is nothing as academically intense as acclimating to the first year of medical school, hang in there.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MS2 summer and MS3 if you have long rotations would like a word with you.
Are you really doing this though. And by this, I mean just taking a big **** on this thread and smearing it all over the place.

Reactions: 3 users
So, would you rather be making what physicians do in other countries and not have that public image?
Or would you rather see 60+ patients a day and make $10-16k a year like physicians in China do but have that poor. overworked humble image?

Reactions: 2 users
So, would you rather be making what physicians do in other countries and not have that public image?
Or would you rather see 60+ patients a day and make $10-16k a year like physicians in China do but have that poor. overworked humble image?

Or better yet classmates scoff at the idea of making only 200K.

A lot of support staff in healthcare is severely underpaid (talking ~30K sometimes in positions that require a college degree). If you're a physician complaining about a 200K+ salary, you aren't going to get any pity from the public. If you do complain? Well yeah that "image" OP claims doctors have is bound to happen.

Bruh, there’s always something to complain about in any job.

Can you show us the gun that was placed to your head that forced you to go to med school?

I have some some serious news for you and I hope that you're sitting down.

Ready?

Life is unfair.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users

lol

You've been hitting the books in your first year for two months. Literally nothing you've stated here applies to you yet. Spare us the righteous indignation.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Can you show us the gun that was placed to your head that forced you to go to med school?

I have some some serious news for you and I hope that you're sitting down.

Ready?

Life is unfair.
Maybe not Goro. But we can definitely show you the gun keeping us here.....

Reactions: 1 user
MS2 summer and MS3 if you have long rotations would like a word with you.
MS3 is waaaay more chill than M1-2. I’ve had every weekend off for 3 months. Evening studying is more chill. Just anki cards and passively do Uworld questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MS3 is waaaay more chill than M1-2. I’ve had every weekend off for 3 months. Evening studying is more chill. Just anki cards and passively do Uworld questions.

Congrats, do you represent the whole population of all medical students?

Congrats, do you represent the whole population of all medical students?
Yes. Lol jk. But for real at my school at least the widespread consensus is M4>3>1>2. Guess our school has a uniques setup bc our first 2 years are brutal.

lol @ this thread

Reactions: 7 users
THEN DROP OUT CUZ!

LOL

This **** sucks but i'd happily suffer in this field than any other field.

Study hard and be your best and outshine those pesky little NPs and PAs lol

Lol half of physicians salaries isn't going to malpractice insurance like you mentioned op. Average malpractice insurance cost is 8K, with surgeons paying the most between 30K-50K. That's only like less than 10% of their salary.

FavorableRingedHaddock-max-1mb.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
Yes. Lol jk. But for real at my school at least the widespread consensus is M4>3>1>2. Guess our school has a uniques setup bc our first 2 years are brutal.
I was straight M4>M3>M2>M1 due to M1 being a weedout year at my school. Clinical>>>>preclinical

It is unfair that we choose to compete in a field where we can make a > top 5% income while contributing positively to other people's lives and challenging ourselves intellectually/emotionally/interpersonally, while simultaneously having one of the best job markets of any career (sorry pathologists). The social benefits are also really lame. It sucks that my future family will be able to afford opportunities that the majority of the world can only dream about, and will be able to afford luxuries like a Tesla or a european ski vacation while never worrying about going hungry or living in a dangerous area. There are so many better jobs out there. I feel dumb.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Life is totally unfair as a whole. 1. A mother loses her child in childbirth. 2. A family loses everything they own because the father is sick and no one else can support the family. I could list many more things.

I am a nurse practitioner, and I am applying to medical school. While it is true that the amount of training that MDs/DOs have is way above that of NPs, please be advised that some NPs in the hospital are very knowledgable with on-the-job training. Remember, patients nowadays prefer physicians that are not just knowledgable, but also humble and with good bed-side manner. The field is getting more competitive nowadays, and if you think that patients will only come to you because you are an MD/DO in town, then may the Force be with you.:)

No one holds a gun to your head and force you to become an MD/DO and go through 7-10 years of medical school and residency. I can make 170k per year right now as an NP, but I am crazy enough to realize that I can do more for patients as a physician. At the end of the day, be good at what you are doing, because the grass always appears to be greener on the other side. Being a nurse or an NP is not easy, and unless you have been an Intensive Care Unit nurse as I am, do not say that nursing is easy. Do not look down on your nurses, because they will save your license one day.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
You get in the profession to help people
If this is your only reason for getting in to medicine then you have not critically evaluated your life choices up until this point and this is likely the root source of your resentment. Being a premed that views physicianry through rose colored glasses will lead to the inevitable regret and 'unfairness' that you are feeling now.
any other profession
Try being an NFL player who just wants to kneel. Try being a police officer who is not trained to deal with mental health issues. Try being a school teacher with a parent badgering you abouthow it is your fault their child is an idiot. Try being a soldier on the front lines who has to justify why they shot a woman with a bomb, but the villiage is unhappy.

Every job sucks in some respects, and medicine is no different. You only know what you have experienced, but medicine has no more external or internal stress than any other job. Seeing yourself in the shoes of another is a very core aspect of being a physician; living this "woe is me" life that you've got going will only ever lead you further down the depression rabbit hole.
You're automatically thrust into positions of leadership in the community and are held to a higher standard than others.
As a physician you MUST be a community leader by default and community leaders SHOULD be held to a higher standard. You literally are responsible for the community living or dying. Do you thing physicians SHOULD NOT be held to a high standard, or did you just not expect that being a doctor would have this much responsibility?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a nurse practitioner, and I am applying to medical school. While it is true that the amount of training that MDs/DOs have is way above that of NPs, please be advised that some NPs in the hospital are very knowledgable with on-the-job training. Remember, patients nowadays prefer physicians that are not just knowledgable, but also humble and with good bed-side manner. The field is getting more competitive nowadays, and if you think that patients will only come to you because you are an MD/DO in town, then may the Force be with you.:)

No one holds a gun to your head and force you to become an MD/DO and go through 7-10 years of medical school and residency. I can make 170k per year right now as an NP, but I am crazy enough to realize that I can do more for patients as a physician. At the end of the day, be good at what you are doing, because the grass always appears to be greener on the other side. Being a nurse or an NP is not easy, and unless you have been an Intensive Care Unit nurse as I am, do not say that nursing is easy. Do not look down on your nurses, because they will save your license one day.
You’ll learn that on the job training does not equal medicine. I have experience in both so I’m not talking out my ass.

There were things the NPs I worked with were asking (or just plain doing wrong) that even I knew as a brand new M3. You learn algorithms but that only works if you have typical presentations of patients, which most are not. But let’s not get this thread all messed up. Good luck in medical school.

Reactions: 12 users
This is why EVERY med school should REQUIRE applicants to have worked a previous job at minimum wage.

It'll give you perspective.... instead of being a whiny little brat (not saying OP is... buttt... cry me a river).

I saw my parents and family get yelled at and threatened at liquor stores growing up in ****ty neighborhoods and we had to come in after school and on weekends to clean toilets and make icebags and stock coolers and we didn't get paid either for it.

That **** builds character.

When I finally got my first job after undergrad, I realized that it's important to have that experience.

Medicine is all customer service for the most part.

This is just a crappy thread lol

somebody please close this. :(

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
IMHO this is why the midlevel lobby is so successful. Nurses on terms of honesty and ethics are 1st place Nurses Ranked #1 Most Ethical Profession By 2017 Gallup Poll. I have seen some studies where pts prefer a NP over a physician Systematic review of whether nurse practitioners working in primary care can provide equivalent care to doctors. Physicians when they complain about income and other things are out of touch with the general public. The average salary in the US is around $47k. When you make around $47k with a manual labor job and you see someone who makes 250k+ complain about their salary you think they are out of touch. NP still has the word nurse in it. So they are still nurses which is why I think some pts prefer them. NPs don't make as much as physicians which makes them more likable to the general public. Whenever MD/DO make fun of RNs/NPs/PAs it's makes physicians look bad. The public thinks oh look those greedy doctors making fun of the hard working nurses.

IMHO this is why the midlevel lobby is so successful. Nurses on terms of honesty and ethics are 1st place Nurses Ranked #1 Most Ethical Profession By 2017 Gallup Poll. I have seen some studies where pts prefer a NP over a physician Systematic review of whether nurse practitioners working in primary care can provide equivalent care to doctors. Physicians when they complain about income and other things are out of touch with the general public. The average salary in the US is around $47k. When you make around $47k with a manual labor job and you see someone who makes 250k+ complain about their salary you think they are out of touch. NP still has the word nurse in it. So they are still nurses which is why I think some pts prefer them. NPs don't make as much as physicians which makes them more likable to the general public. Whenever MD/DO make fun of RNs/NPs/PAs it's makes physicians look bad. The public thinks oh look those greedy doctors making fun of the hard working nurses.

This. Considering I have relatives who are NPs, doctors and one of the sweetest people I've ever met is a PA - these type of comments hurt me.

I’ll be the first to complain about the ridiculousness that is med school and how nothing really prepares you for it etc.

But “unfair” is a bit of a stretch. Honestly the stuff OP is complaining about is really the stuff we all should understand well before matriculation.

Of course we’re held to a higher standard than any other profession. People literally live or die based on what we do. We ain’t makin’ burgers here.

This. Considering I have relatives who are NPs, doctors and one of the sweetest people I've ever met is a PA - these type of comments hurt me.

I know plenty of great PAs and NPs. I'm working with an NP currently who has repeatedly gone out of her way to show that "Not all NPs are bad" or that she "Understands her role" as a colleague to physicians but not their replacement.

It honestly bugs me that she feels the need to say all this. I can tell she's doing it because she doesn't know me well yet and wants to make sure I'm not one of the neckbeards on here commenting that midlevels are the end of medicine. Meanwhile the MDs and DOs she works with have nothing but amazing things to say about her.

Then quit or continue to condemn your peers.

Not sure why this has so much interest. He's 100% correct. You're treated like a piece of **** as a physician.

Edit, actually the reasons the mid levels are winning are because of the types of people in medicine replying to this thread. Digging your own Graves while kissing their feet.

Not sure why this has so much interest. He's 100% correct. You're treated like a piece of **** as a physician.

Edit, actually the reasons the mid levels are winning are because of the types of people in medicine replying to this thread. Digging your own Graves while kissing their feet.

Entitled to your opinion.

I just happen to think yours is wrong. It's a collaborative effort where midlevels and support staff try their best to make the physicians' lives easier at the point of care (or at least in theory). They're paid higher than everyone else and in order to attract great talent in any industry - a jump in pay helps. Often times the support staff (lowly paid) go back to school to become a clinician/midlevel.

Hopefully you will treat your NP/PA/support with respect. If not? Get used to be the attending everyone does not want to deal with.

I think what the OP posted is actually why mid levels are winning. When you complain about your 250k+ salary to the general population you are not going to receive any sympathy. The general public already trusts and respects nurses more. Which is why some people already trust NPS more than physicians they can relate better to an NP or RN who is not out of touch with the general public.

• Love
Entitled to your opinion.

I just happen to think yours is wrong. It's a collaborative effort where midlevels and support staff try their best to make the physicians' lives easier at the point of care (or at least in theory). They're paid higher than everyone else and in order to attract great talent in any industry - a jump in pay helps. Often times the support staff (lowly paid) go back to school to become a clinician/midlevel.

Hopefully you will treat your NP/PA/support with respect. If not? Get used to be the attending everyone does not want to deal with.

You have a family member who is a mid level. You have 100% bias. No one cares about the ones that are extenders. It's the increasing amount that say they equivalent to physicians or better with their 500 hours of shadowing experience and completely online sad excuse for a curriculum. Everyday they push for independent practice. Disregarding impacts on job market for physicians (which it does affect, but you can keep your head in the sand), they are physically dangerous for patients pushing for independent practice with essentially non existent training.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
You have a family member who is a mid level. You have 100% bias. No one cares about the ones that are extenders. It's the increasing amount that say they equivalent to physicians or better with their 500 hours of shadowing experience and completely online sad excuse for a curriculum. Everyday they push for independent practice. Disregarding impacts on job market for physicians (which it does affect, but you can keep your head in the sand), they are physically dangerous for patients pushing for independent practice with essentially non existent training.

One of my parents is a physician for 30+ years and isn’t a jackass resident such as yourself.

So I’d say I’m properly informed

• Haha
One of my parents is a physician for 30+ years and isn’t a jackass resident such as yourself.

So I’d say I’m properly informed

tenor.gif

• Haha
Why is this thread even still a thing? Its toxic, and it was started by someone who's sole goal appears to be watching it go down in flames. OP is clearly trolling, as demonstrated by the utter randomness of the first post, bringing up multiple "hot topics", then never replying again.

Status
Not open for further replies.