Being a compassionate doc/Hobbies in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edgar

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear current med students/physicians:

Even though I am very interested in practicing medicine holistically and preventatively, I realize that the limited time doctors can spend with their patients sometimes makes this goal very difficult. Can you share any experiences how you focused on treating the patient's non-medical concerns as well as their medical concerns, all the while you were under pressure to see other patients? It really disappointed me to see how my physician mentors felt conflicted at their desire to truly know their patients while they had a waiting room full of other patients.

I also had a question about how you all kept a "balanced" schedule in medical school. Did you take time out of your grueling schedules to work-out, play sports, join clubs, or even go out on dates? Now that I have been accepted to medical school, I am feraful that I will become even a bigger geek than I already am because as it is I have no time except to work on my graduate school research. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

EDGAR

Members don't see this ad.

Edgar

Please don't worry about med school. It is very difficult but certainly
do-able. There is plenty of time for outside activities, in fact it is
crucial to maintain some semblance of a normal life. Although one could
literally spend every waking moment studying, it is a mistake, in my opinion,
to do so. I think someone who tries that approach is just asking for burn
out. The most important thing to focus on is time management. If you use
your time wisely, you can do well in school and have as active a social life
as you want.

As to the practice of medicine, I too would be interested in hearing from
physicians who have managed to form the type of practice you describe. I do
however, have an idea about approaching this problem; providing patients with
a questionaire that addresses non-medical issues and having them complete it
after leaving the office, thereby saving the physician time and allowing the
patient time to think about the questions. Responses could be mailed back and
addressed at subsequant visits or over the phone (thereby giving the physician
time to consider the individual needs of each patient). Of course this would
add to the physicians' workload, but I think it would be worth the extra effort.
Has anyone tried this kind of strategy? Is it even feasible?

I have found from the time I have spent with many different docs that conversation is the best means of getting this info. I have even had the doctor, point at the he is lowering his pen and is not going to include the information being discussed in the notes/chart.

Also , it seems all right to befriend certain patients.

I have also seen particular care given to which patients are scheduled before lunch and as the last patients of the day in order to accomodate/ enourage any spill over.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can speak to having time for things while you are in medical school. As my "name" implies, I spend about an hour a day walking my dogs. I use this as time to listen to the news on my radio or think about life in general and it is usually my favorite part of the day. I also sing in the church choir, read an occasional trash novel, write bad poetry and sometimes just stare at the wall and do nothing. One of my classmates sewes clothes for herself and her family as a way to unwind. A lot of folks I know are avid runners and get in five miles a day. My point is, you don't have to become a non-person just because you're in med school. It's all about setting priorities, and I recommend you make maintaining your sense of self a high priority. Time management is the key.

Dogwalker-

It's great to hear that you have time for a life outside of classes at UOMHS. I will be starting at UOMHS next year, so that makes me feel better. I have 2 big dogs that will also be glad to hear I'll have time to spend with them! What kind of dogs do you have?

Stef

Dear Edgar,

Medsch is very doable. My first quarter was extremely draining with Anatomy Lab 4 days a week and quizzes at least twice a week. In class from 8-5 plus coming back to anatomy lab at night to study for the quizzes. This quarter has been better. We have a gym where students frequent. Basketball court, volleyball, soccer, frisbee. I played racquetball three times a week and worked out several times a week as well. I also joined clubs, watched movies and have usually at least 1/2 a day off on the weekend. It's all about time management and making time for activities that you like on top of styding medicine, which is awesome. Away from school for 2 years, I was off to a slow start but now I totally love it. The courses are getting clinical and very interesting.

MS1 KCOM

Everyone,

Thank you for allaying my fears. Earlier this week I had an awful nightmare about medical school, how I was studying so hard but was doing poorly and was miserable. I guess having a successful life / career is definitely dependent on time management, and if I can learn this wonderful skill I hope I will do well. I'm so happy to hear that other medical students seem genuinely pleased with their unique lifestyle, and I hope all the hard work I have put into getting into med school will translate into academic/personal fulfillment during this arduous but rewarding journey of becoming a physician.

Thanks again,

EDGAR