before residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
if u get accepted into a psyciatry residency, is it necessary to do a preliminary/transitional year before starting?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

My understanding is that most psych residencies are 4 years and the "prelim" is built into the residency - otherwise some programs will accept you as a PGY2 into a program - some programs will accept a transitional, medicine or surg year as the PGY1 (you need to have like 4 months of general patient care of which only one month can be EM - I think those are the requirements - you should check out psych residency requirements). Hope this helps. Are you trying to get into a psych program after having done another residency?

M-

Originally posted by Magree
Are you trying to get into a psych program after having done another residency?

No, i am a 3rd year medical student. psych is among the specialties that i am considering, but i have yet to do a rotation in it thus far.

No, you do not have to do a prelim year. Most schools only require that you dedicate only 6 months of your intern year to primary care. Typically it includes 2-4 months of inpatient Medicine/Peds/ER and 1-2 months of OUTPATIENT Medicine/OB as well as a month of Inpatient or Consult Neurology. Pretty cool, huh? It varies by program as to how much you do of each speciatly but 90% of the programs I looked at when applying for residency only required 6 months of non-psych work.