Baller hospitalists...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess it depends how this is interpreted?

one week of 7 nights, 12 hours each night:
$250 x 40 hours + 1.5 x 250 x 44 hours + $61 x 7 days + $250 x 80 quarantine hours = $46,927, comes out to $558.65/hour worked

Is that right??

If so, that is actually insanely high rate that will make any other specialty jealous

Wrong that is the SDN 40th percentile

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Wrong that is the SDN 40th percentile

haha, I know sarcasm but if it really is 558/hr that would be crazy - over double the usual rate an ER doc would get seeing 2 to 3 patients per hour in a rural place no one wants to live in, like this:

"TeamHealth is seeking an emergency medicine physician to join our team at Baptist Health Corbin in Corbin, Kentucky.
Average 2.19 patients per hour. The EMR is Epic. $215/hr days; $225/hr nights. "

I know a hospitalist program where couple docs make ~ million dollars but they work their ass off, do more nights, etc. The norm is 500k in this place for week on week off, 3 weeks of nights a year

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a hospitalist program where couple docs make ~ million dollars but they work their ass off, do more nights, etc. The norm is 500k in this place for week on week off, 3 weeks of nights a year
Where is that? Is that rural WV or KY etc...?

Yes, where is this place lol

Reactions: 1 user
midwest, mid sized city in 100-200k population range and an hour away from regional hub of roughly 1.5 mln metro population. so no, not rural.

midwest, mid sized city in 100-200k population range and an hour away from regional hub of roughly 1.5 mln metro population. so no, not rural.

If only it wasn’t so cold in the Midwest...

If only it wasn’t so cold in the Midwest...
Places like STL/KC really have pretty mild winters, for the most part. In those two cities the bigger concerns are the summer swampiness and mediocre pizza. I'm not aware of Cincy having bad winters either. Of course, everything is relative...

Anyone here works for BJC healthcare in St Louis.

Places like STL/KC really have pretty mild winters, for the most part. In those two cities the bigger concerns are the summer swampiness and mediocre pizza. I'm not aware of Cincy having bad winters either. Of course, everything is relative...

Girlfriend is from Cincy she says single digits every winter...less than ideal

How is salt lake and Kc?

The worst part of living in Cincinnati is you have to live in Cincinnati

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Girlfriend is from Cincy she says single digits every winter...less than ideal

How is salt lake and Kc?
I think this is where we go back to everything being relative. Your gf knows better than I do since I've never lived in Cincy, but does it hit single digits once or twice a year, or does it stay in single digits for weeks at a time?

One sentence answer to your question: if you have kids, the threshold for them calling a snow day at school in STL or KC is pretty low.

St Louis (STL) and KC both get some snow every year, but usually not a ton, though every once in a while you'll get a pretty good storm. Quite a few days below freezing during the winter and maybe a few days in single digits, but I don't remember ever having any long spells of weather that cold back when I lived in that neck of the woods. The sketchiest part of winter there is that you can sometimes get ice storms where there will be rain that freezes overnight, which doesn't really happen as often in the colder places because there it goes straight to snow.

Since you asked about SLC (Salt Lake) and I happen to be familiar with it I can tell you about it, though it is not at all part of the Midwest in spite of what some people in my current coastal city seem to think. Winters are much more wintery than any of the cities I've mentioned. You're in the mountains. If you're in the city itself the snow isn't too bad. More than the other cities I mentioned, but usually colder (and therefore more manageable) snow so it's really not bad. Way better than the snow I used to get in the Midwest or where I currently am (which is wet, thick and heavy, as opposed to light and fluffy). If you go into parts of the city or suburbs at higher elevation you start to get significant amounts of snow. It is ski country, after all. Because it snows frequently, local govt and people can handle it comfortably and it's really not bad, unless you get up into the mountains, but then the trade off is that you get to do fun stuff with the snow.

What do you guys think of this job?

Average census: 18 with 1-2 admissions per day
No code and procedures
You answer rapid response only on your patients
Independent contractor (IC)
Malpractice with tail is covered by employer
Base salary 300k + RVU and incentive (usually 40-70k/yr)
No sign on bonus. Retention 10k after yr 1.
Relocation bonus: 7.5k

My counter offer will be 330k and 15k relocation.

What do you guys/gals think?

No code and procedures

That's pretty good (the original offer). Be careful about countering, they might tell you to F off!

What part of the country?

That's pretty good (the original offer). Be careful about countering, they might tell you to F off!

What part of the country?
Southeast... Small city of 50k people with a metro of 1/2 mil

It's an IC job, so paying for my own benefit would cut ~20% from pay. Therefore, base pay is 240k, which I think is low for that city.

Southeast... Small city of 50k people with a metro of 1/2 mil

It's an IC job, so paying for my own benefit would cut ~20% from pay. Therefore, base pay is 240k, which I think is low for that city.
ahh yes. that is kinda low. I worked in the southeast (southern Virginia) market for a while. Pay is kinda shtty out there, you'd think they'd pay more to recruit. But then again, pay is dropping all across the board for hospitalists.

ahh yes. that is kinda low. I worked in the southeast (southern Virginia) market for a while. Pay is kinda shtty out there, you'd think they'd pay more to recruit. But then again, pay is dropping all across the board for hospitalists.
I will go with the counter above (330k base and 15k relocation), which I think is reasonable and if they don't accept it, I will pass.

Reactions: 1 users

No code and procedures

Not bad... by all all means counter...the worst they say is no... then you can decide if you still want to take it ... just because you counter, they are not going to rescind the offer... if they do... you don’t want to work there.

Reactions: 5 users
Done with the job search.

Half of my sign-on bonus will be given prior starting, will they take taxes from it? or will it be a 1099 check?

Done with the job search.

Half of my sign-on bonus will be given prior starting, will they take taxes from it? or will it be a 1099 check?
You'll have to ask them. There's a chance half will end up as 1099 and the other half as W2 depending on who is paying it. First half will almost for sure be 1099.

That isn't always a bad thing because you can put 20-25% of that in to a solo 401k.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll have to ask them. There's a chance half will end up as 1099 and the other half as W2 depending on who is paying it. First half will almost for sure be 1099.

That isn't always a bad thing because you can put 20-25% of that in to a solo 401k.

Apply for an EIN now as a sole proprietor.
Form a solo 401k, usually takes a few weeks and you have to send in paperwork.
Worth the couple of hours it takes.