USMLE Back to the USMLEs After a Long Gap; Where to Start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AgentRaiden88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I was forced to take a long sabbatical due to a parent's death and ensuing personal challenges. While I did manage to finish all basic sciences and clinical coursework for my MD, however, I did not graduate officially and my USMLE Step 1 score expires this summer due to the ECFMG Certification rule to finish all USMLE exams within seven years after the day of the first one; yes, my Step 1 was a while ago..

Given my improved financial and personal circumstances, I am finally able to graduate this fall. I am planning on doing both the Step 1 and Step 2 CK sometime between November 2017-May 2018. However, I am preparing for a school exam that mirrors the Step 2 CK scheduled in August 2017 and would like to start now due to the arduous catch-up I will need to do to re-consolidate my entire medical learning. Considering the long time spent away from clinical contact, I feel hazy on my grasp of most key concepts and feel quite puzzled on a good point to start.

My questions are:

- What Step 2 CK resources or study plan would you suggest for someone coming back to medicine after a sabbatical of 2-3 years?

- In what order would you suggest I take the Steps? The most logical way as I see it is to do the Step 2 first, followed by Step 1 shortly after, say about 3 months of intervening gap. Do you share the same opinion?

I understand that I have a long path ahead, nonetheless, coming back to medicine feels like coming home in many ways and I am committed to shine. Due to this gap, I think that it will be particularly important to aim for scores above 240.

Any help is appreciated! THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm kinda hard to tell you what to do. Don't start with uworld. You would just waste this excellent source at this time. Take 15-20 days to read mtb2 and watch alle onlinemeded videos. These vids will definitetly help you refresh your memory. Then start uworld, do cms, all uwsa and nbmes.

if at all possible, don't retake Step 1. Even in the last 7 years, the averages have creeped up, and the volume of info is enormous. Expect to need at least 3 months just for step 1

Hello SDNers,

I was forced to take a long sabbatical due to a parent's death and ensuing personal challenges. While I did manage to finish all basic sciences and clinical coursework for my MD, however, I did not graduate officially and my USMLE Step 1 score expires this summer due to the ECFMG Certification rule to finish all USMLE exams within seven years after the day of the first one; yes, my Step 1 was a while ago..

Given my improved financial and personal circumstances, I am finally able to graduate this fall. I am planning on doing both the Step 1 and Step 2 CK sometime between November 2017-May 2018. However, I am preparing for a school exam that mirrors the Step 2 CK scheduled in August 2017 and would like to start now due to the arduous catch-up I will need to do to re-consolidate my entire medical learning. Considering the long time spent away from clinical contact, I feel hazy on my grasp of most key concepts and feel quite puzzled on a good point to start.

My questions are:

- What Step 2 CK resources or study plan would you suggest for someone coming back to medicine after a sabbatical of 2-3 years?

- In what order would you suggest I take the Steps? The most logical way as I see it is to do the Step 2 first, followed by Step 1 shortly after, say about 3 months of intervening gap. Do you share the same opinion?

I understand that I have a long path ahead, nonetheless, coming back to medicine feels like coming home in many ways and I am committed to shine. Due to this gap, I think that it will be particularly important to aim for scores above 240.

Any help is appreciated! THANK YOU!