baby in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharpie1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i was wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows anyone who has? i hear it's almost impossible in ob-gyn, but shouldn't they be family friendly since it is a field dominated by women?? just curious about this topic

Members don't see this ad.

Many of the women in my program have had kids. If you want to have kids during residency then you need to look for programs where many of the residents are married and have kids. There will be a culture that is accepting of this and finds ways to work with the new parents. Plus, the other residents will be more understanding if they too have kids.

I have 3 kids but I'm not a woman.

how do they deal with an infant while they are on call? i assume most of these residents have to have full time nannies or really helpful parents? is there any kind of a part time residency for ob gyn? i know they have a few in pediatrics...

Members don't see this ad :)
There are no part time residencies that I am aware of. These mom's have husbands that take care of the kids while they are on call. Remember you will get maternity leave. If you are going to have kids I would look for a program near your parents, I think that would help.

There are plenty of residents who have babies during residency, but you need to have a support system. My residents who have had children get full-time nannies. There are out for six weeks and back to work (unless they need to go on bedrest). None of my residents get special treatment because they have children (and that is from their fellow residents). They need to make-up call before they go out on maternity leave or make it up after. Your co-residents will be supportive but they will expect you to carry your share of the responsibilities.