BA/MD applicant and disability

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted for a BA/MD applicant

I am a high school student applying to BA/MD programs and I would like some input on how a medical school would react towards a disability like mine.

I wrote a small paragraph on my application about an undiagnosed disability where it bothers me greatly listening to music from a certain direction, hypersensitivity to light and sound (and thus limited computer use), being able to hear extremely high pitched noises (esp from TVs) and concentration problems. I am taking a medication that is gradually making these symptoms less severe, so they might not even be around in a while. My parents found out what I wrote after I submitted it and they were in-my-face screaming at me about how stupid it is to reveal something like this. They think it will ruin my chances.

I've consulted many people before who've said I shouldn't disclose, because my grades and test scores show no indication of a disability or learning disorder but I feel I can do even better if I didn't have these problems and that I should be honest of the fact that I may need accommodations. What bothers me is how a medical school may react to my disclosure and that they may deem me unsuitable for medicine because of it. Please give me some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your first job is to get into med school. The 2nd is to ask about accomodations, after you are accepted. Revealing a hidden disability (one that wouldn't be detected during med school interviews) will hurt your chances of getting into med school.

I already sent the app in so the changes I can make are limited. So this will affect me negatively even though I am showing improvement? Will they take into account I'm still many years away from medical school?

First of all, there isn't much you can do about an application that is already submitted. In general, I would not be too concerned about it at this point in your education.

Using a computer and other electronic equipment will be an absolute requirement for medical school. I assume you are hearing the high pitch whines from CRT screens, so flat screen laptops might not be an issue and would be reasonable. However there is a lot of older technology that continues to use CRT screens. Using computers daily, for long periods of time, is going to be a requirement for medical school. Only you know whether this is reasonable or not. I agree with others -- I'd apply without disclosing it, and then disclose it after admission if you feel you need accomodations for it.

I can use the computer I'm using right now (which is specially adjusted) for ~3+ hours with few problems, and am absolutely fine with projectors, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned that on the app. Do you think that makes it much better?

I think it is hard for anyone to precisely know what you will and won't be asked to do. Certainly it won't be necessary to sit in front of a computer in general for more than 3 hours at a time, except for some testing situations.
At this point, I think that you've probably done what you can and will need to see how interviews go.